Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Bullets for Big Cats article-- BY Kevin Robertson--SA artcl

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Hunting >> Hunting in Africa & hunting dangerous game

albertan
.333 member

Reged: 13/06/06
Loc: Alberta, Canada
Re: Bullets for Big Cats article-- BY Kevin Robertson--SA artcl
      07/05/15 12:26 PM

I believe that flat nosed or round nosed bullets of conventional design are a prudent choice for the cats. They are never shot at long range so ballistic coefficient is of no consequence. They are not heavily boned, nor do they possess tough hides. I have read and been told that an impact velocity of at least 2500 fps sends a cats nervous system into fits. So I keep that in mind when thinking of a cat killing load.

A good deer bullet in a good deer calibre is all you need for leopard. Indeed, a .375 H&H stoked with A-frames or Triple Shocks might get you in trouble. They will not encounter enough resistance to cause them to open. A 30-06 with a 180 grain cup and core bullet hand loaded to a good 2700 fps would be my first choice. No bonded or mono metal bullets really needed here.

With lion. a 300 grain Hornady Interlock or Woodleigh round nose soft would be all you need. A Cape buffalo bullet won't create the wound channel of these softer bullets. As an added bonus, they are cheaper and generally more accurate that their stouter brethren.

I used a 250 grain Speer Grand Slam out of a .338 Winchester magnum on my lion. Loaded to 2645 fps, the shot moved my cat 3-4 feet sideways before he touched down for good. A famous outfitter told me to use 250 Swift A-frames. When I told him I could not get over 2400 fps, he doubted me. I doubt very much that he ever paid for an A-frame let alone chronographed a .338 Winchester loaded with one. Speaking to him reminded me of an infomercial. They are dandy in the .338 Ultra or the .340 Bee, but too long for the Winchester.

Post Extras Print Post   Remind Me!     Notify Moderator

Entire topic
Subject Posted by Posted on
* Bullets for Big Cats article-- BY Kevin Robertson--SA artcl Ripp 28/04/15 12:10 AM
. * * Re: Bullets for Big Cats article-- BY Kevin Robertson--SA artcl DarylS   28/04/15 12:55 AM
. * * Re: Bullets for Big Cats article-- BY Kevin Robertson--SA artcl Ripp   28/04/15 04:29 AM
. * * Re: Bullets for Big Cats article-- BY Kevin Robertson--SA artcl DarylS   29/04/15 01:07 AM
. * * Re: Bullets for Big Cats article-- BY Kevin Robertson--SA artcl xausa   29/04/15 08:34 AM
. * * Re: Bullets for Big Cats article-- BY Kevin Robertson--SA artcl ozhunter   29/04/15 09:38 AM
. * * Re: Bullets for Big Cats article-- BY Kevin Robertson--SA artcl NitroXAdministrator   08/05/15 04:46 AM
. * * Re: Bullets for Big Cats article-- BY Kevin Robertson--SA artcl albertan   07/05/15 12:26 PM

Extra information
0 registered and 294 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:   

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Thread views: 2436

Rate this thread

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com