Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Remo 12ga Bore rifle project...Inputs needed!!

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Double Rifles, Single Shots & Combinations >> Paradox and Bore Guns

Birdhunter50
.375 member

Reged: 03/06/07
Loc: Iowa,U.S.A.
Re: Remo 12ga Bore rifle project...Inputs needed!!
      21/04/15 10:23 PM

z375,
I have used the regular size Lyman 20 and 12 gauge slugs inside AA shot wads in AA Winchester cases and roll crimped them. They work very well IF you fill the rear hollow base with wax to keep the wads from being punched into them and carried all the way to the target. I have never heard about the full bore size Lyman slugs and would not care to use them because of leading problems. I have some Shaw 12 gauge rifled barrels and they all have lots of chatter roughness on the tops the lands, I suppose this is due to they way they are rifled.

I asked one of the other guys about all the roughness inside them and he advised me to use a small bore cylinder hone on an extended rod to hone out the roughness in them. I was shocked at such a suggestion, thinking that the hone would jam inside the barrel but decided to give it a try anyway, and guess what? It works like a charm to hone off the chatter marks from the tops of the lands! You only want to do it long enough to just get them smoothed up. This technique will radically reduce the barrel leading down to nothing and make the barrel much "slicker" inside.

I have built a couple of double rifled shotguns using these 12 gauge Shaw barrels and they were all loaded pretty hot with no leading problems because of the shot cup protecting the slug from and barrel rifling. I tied roll crimping them, thinking that they would be more accurate due to more start pressure and a better burn of the powder, but this proved not to be true.

I get just as much velocity by just star crimping them as I did by fooling around roll crimping them, and it is quicker and easier to load them that way. The only advantage to the roll crimp is that you can instantly see that you are loading slug loads. The only disadvantage to the roll crimping is that you can only reload them a couple of times with these hot slug loads, then the crimps start loosening up. I have gotten three reloads out of them by melting the star crimps together with a hot nail head, but that is really too much trouble and may effect the overall accuracy and speed of the loads.

Post Extras Print Post   Remind Me!     Notify Moderator

Entire topic
Subject Posted by Posted on
* Remo 12ga Bore rifle project...Inputs needed!! z375 16/04/15 06:23 PM
. * * Re: Remo 12ga Bore rifle project...Inputs needed!! DarylS   17/04/15 12:52 AM
. * * Re: Remo 12ga Bore rifle project...Inputs needed!! z375   17/04/15 02:55 PM
. * * Re: Remo 12ga Bore rifle project...Inputs needed!! DarylS   18/04/15 01:17 AM
. * * Re: Remo 12ga Bore rifle project...Inputs needed!! tinkerModerator   17/04/15 01:38 AM
. * * Re: Remo 12ga Bore rifle project...Inputs needed!! John303   17/04/15 04:33 AM
. * * Re: Remo 12ga Bore rifle project...Inputs needed!! z375   21/04/15 07:33 PM
. * * Re: Remo 12ga Bore rifle project...Inputs needed!! Birdhunter50   21/04/15 10:23 PM
. * * Re: Remo 12ga Bore rifle project...Inputs needed!! z375   22/04/15 09:46 PM
. * * Re: Remo 12ga Bore rifle project...Inputs needed!! Birdhunter50   03/07/15 10:22 PM
. * * Re: Remo 12ga Bore rifle project...Inputs needed!! John303   04/07/15 04:35 AM
. * * Re: Remo 12ga Bore rifle project...Inputs needed!! Birdhunter50   18/05/15 01:59 AM
. * * Re: Remo 12ga Bore rifle project...Inputs needed!! Tom_H   24/04/15 09:09 AM

Extra information
0 registered and 9 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  tinker 

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Thread views: 7227

Rate this thread

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com