Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Is it really hunting in Africa or game collecting

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Hunting >> Hunting in Africa & hunting dangerous game

gryphon
.450 member

Reged: 01/01/03
Loc: Sambar ground/Victoria/Austral...
Is it really hunting in Africa or game collecting
      04/05/03 08:35 AM

Well this post will get some steam up but its a q`s that a lot of you guys will answer.Let me stress there are NO references to members posting on this forum whatsoever so please anybody connected with the African industry as a hunter or guide do not take any of my ramblings personally yourselves.
I have only been to Africa through the writings of many famous hunters from days long gone that did the deed and have not been there myself but i see in the SCI magazines and other publications many photos of African game taken by what appear to be almost novice hunters (their words) and by some people that are obviously not fit enough are these "hunters" just being walked/driven around various sized game enclosures no matter how big so as to get the $$$$$$ from them.Its a very common way of collecting game and money by either party in many parts of the world.The other q`s is if these African big game animals are so hard and tough to obtain how is it that just about every body that hunts them come home with the bacon? It apears more and more that many of these animals are simply shot in collecting type environments.

I suppose i`m really asking if TRUE hunting in the sense of not sighting game from a vehicle but of spending 10 hours + - a day in tracking/glassing etc is done in Africa anymore.There are constant "read between the lines stories" of international hunters pictured in many publications available today and i would bet my bottom dollar 99% of those so called hunters would really struggle to take or even hunt a sambar stag in his home ground in Victoria or an argali ram etc.Some of these international hunters i have met when they hunted with us for sambar deer and it doesent take much to know that any game they bragged about taking in Africa was done the easy way.I do know of one big game /big name hunter that i personally talked with taking his Wapiti in a crush in NZ and shooting a penned (10 acres) sambar stag,this hunter told me how he had taken all the worlds spiral horned antelope,eight black several grizzly and two polar bears amongst his trophy game species and i often wondered as to how he got them, and there have been a smattering of others that i met that have done it much the same as well in the name of "hunting".Dont get me wrong now fella`s there are still ethical true hunters out there i know not just the cheque book types.

Shock horror i have read stories(published in SCI mag) of "hunters" lying in wait in a blind over bait for a leopard that have the torch turned on for them when the cat comes to the bait, ok so its legal in some countries but [censored] is it HUNTING? shooting a leopard in the light of a spotlight could only be regarded as criminal in many eyes--not one person can tell me that shooting a leopard in artificial light is hunting,oh yes there are time constraints on the "hunters" that need their dollar extracted so it appears to be in MANY cases a matter of having game appear in very easy situations for the "hunter" to collect.
There are so many places around the world that supply "hunters" with game--ie USA,NZ,Canada,Australia,UK and of course Africa in "ranch " type situations that i wonder if these places will eventually be the only places left in the world.When i go to Africa to hunt are there any/many places that are considered truly free range no fence type hunting left? Ah yes i`m sure to be quoted on how many acres there are in such and such a place etc but even in a 50,000 acre area that is fenced the managers have the say in the animal population and know basically where the animals are to be camped for the client to take in the easiest most exciting manner.
Stories we know firsthand on "hunters" being duped into believing they are getting wild /free game abound in circles i`m in and a lot of those "hunters" dont really care so as to have bragging rights for the folks back home.

My idea of true hunting is backpacking into Alaska for its fantastic range of species high wild and free,high altitude sheep hunting in Asia and of course hunting one of the premium antlered game of the world in the sambar stag an animal in its own environment that many try but cant take.

Of course i dont doubt that there are truly wild areas in African countries and animals there as well that on a hard to get basis are as tough as any else where (bongo for one) but hell its hard to find reference to one on the net--ok i will be bombarded on this one with places for sure.

Now on a lighter note for the fella`s What are the three words you dont want to hear in the mens room???
>
>
>Heeeeey!-----------nice dick!

--------------------
Get off the chair away from the desk and get out in the bush and enjoy life.

Post Extras Print Post   Remind Me!     Notify Moderator

Entire topic
Subject Posted by Posted on
* Is it really hunting in Africa or game collecting gryphon 04/05/03 08:35 AM
. * * Re: Is it really hunting in Africa or game collecting allenday   28/12/06 02:55 AM
. * * Re: Is it really hunting in Africa or game collecting gryphon   09/01/07 07:23 PM
. * * Re: Is it really hunting in Africa or game collecting Bigfive   08/01/07 10:57 PM
. * * Re: Is it really hunting in Africa or game collecting bulldog563   28/12/06 02:20 PM
. * * Re: Is it really hunting in Africa or game collecting russ   17/05/03 02:23 AM
. * * Re: Is it really hunting in Africa or game collecting NitroXAdministrator   28/12/06 12:13 AM
. * * Re: Is it really hunting in Africa or game collecting gryphon   09/01/07 07:04 PM
. * * Re: Is it really hunting in Africa or game collecting DUGABOY1   08/05/03 09:14 AM
. * * Re: Is it really hunting in Africa or game collecting gryphon   08/05/03 02:42 PM
. * * Re: Is it really hunting in Africa or game collecting Mpofu   08/05/03 08:01 PM
. * * Re: Is it really hunting in Africa or game collecting gryphon   09/05/03 04:09 AM
. * * Re: Is it really hunting in Africa or game collecting Cacciatore   10/05/03 09:31 AM
. * * Re: Is it really hunting in Africa or game collecting Cacciatore   10/05/03 09:41 AM
. * * Re: Is it really hunting in Africa or game collecting gryphon   10/05/03 10:23 AM
. * * Re: Is it really hunting in Africa or game collecting Cacciatore   10/05/03 04:32 PM
. * * Re: Is it really hunting in Africa or game collecting gryphon   11/05/03 06:11 AM
. * * Re: Is it really hunting in Africa or game collecting Cacciatore   11/05/03 07:44 AM
. * * Re: Is it really hunting in Africa or game collecting iqbal   06/05/03 03:06 AM
. * * Re: Is it really hunting in Africa or game collecting Mpofu   06/05/03 05:15 AM
. * * Re: Is it really hunting in Africa or game collecting gryphon   06/05/03 06:37 AM
. * * Re: Is it really hunting in Africa or game collecting MLindsay   05/05/03 11:04 PM
. * * Re: Is it really hunting in Africa or game collecting NitroXAdministrator   06/05/03 01:26 AM
. * * Re: Is it really hunting in Africa or game collecting SafariHunt   05/05/03 06:27 PM
. * * Re: Is it really hunting in Africa or game collecting ovis   06/05/03 07:46 AM
. * * Re: Is it really hunting in Africa or game collecting Mpofu   06/05/03 07:49 PM
. * * Re: Is it really hunting in Africa or game collecting ovis   06/05/03 07:27 AM
. * * Re: Is it really hunting in Africa or game collecting ovis   05/05/03 05:34 PM
. * * Re: Is it really hunting in Africa or game collecting Mpofu   04/05/03 07:45 PM

Extra information
0 registered and 60 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:   

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating: ****
Thread views: 6547

You rated this thread a 4.
Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com