Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Speed Test--Double vs Bolt Rifle..per RIFLE SHOOTER Mag

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Double Rifles, Single Shots & Combinations >> Double Rifles

DUGABOY1
.400 member

Reged: 02/02/03
Loc: TEXAS USA
Re: Speed Test--Double vs Bolt Rifle..per RIFLE SHOOTER Mag
      04/01/15 05:20 PM

Quote:

To help verify the claim that the double rifle offers a faster second shot than a bolt gun, I reached out to my friend Monty Kalogeras, owner of Safari Shooting School outside Mason, Texas. Monty has become well known for helping to train hunters who want to improve their shooting skills, and each year he helps many clients learn to shoot and handle big bore rifles before they travel to remote regions of the world in the pursuit of dangerous game.>>>snip

Quote:

“I timed shooters for almost two years to see which type of rifle allowed them to deliver the fastest aimed follow-up shot,” he says. The key word is aimed. It’s not simply a matter of making the gun go boom a second time but a matter of delivering an accurate shot, coming down from recoil and sending a second shot into the target that is in the right place to stop a charge.

First off, this article assumes the animal will be stopped with only two shots, and that is rarely the case with buffalo. Having said that lets assume a buffalo will be stopped with only two shots and that as Monty says "the key word is AIMED shots" in my opinion, the key word is just as important all shooters no matter what type of rife you are shooting in that situation. With that in mind, I would say for the first two AIMED shots the second shot would be easier/faster when only recovering from recoil of the first shot and pulling the trigger on the second shot by simply changing triggers than having to work a bolt after recovering from the recoil of the first shot and getting back on target for the second shot.

Now lets assume the buffalo needs four shots to stop or turn. In this case it has been proven by the PH testing that a man who is good with a double rifle is at no disadvantage for four shot to a man that is equally skilled with a big bore bolt rifle. First shot being equal, while the second shot with the double is faster, and about equal to the bolt rife shooter for shot three and faster again for shot four with the double. The speed is of no value if the bullets do not go where they will do the most good.

At shoots by the DRSS, this has been tested several times and the double has won every time,
This shoot is done with the double rifle loaded, and the both rifle with one in the chamber and three in the magazine. The kill zone is an 8 inch black target at 25 yds with a 2 inch ten ring in the center. This allows a max score of 40 points if all four shot hit the ten ring, and any shot that misses the black is not counted. The shooters are all individually timed with a stop watch, timing starts when each shooter fires the first shot, and stops when shot four is fired, with everyone shooting at the same time for noise distraction. Timed and scored for accuracy!

I took third place with four shot fired in four seconds flat, and I forgot that the rifle I was shooting had an automatic safety, and tried to fire shot three with the safety on costing me time. My score was 36 out of a possible 40 points and if I had been facing a lion charge that safety could have cost me my life. Even with the safety I beat every bolt rifle on the line for time, and the only both that beat me for score was slower that I by two seconds.

I was severely chastised by one of the members here, for having a double rifle that I had owned for some 8 years, with the auto feature not disengaged, when I had been recommending the auto feature be disengaged to others for years. My only excuse is that was not my go to DGR, and procrastination was my mistake.

In any event IMO the double is faster for the first two shots than a bolt rifle but the bullets must go where they do the job, or the speed is a moot point

--------------------
..........Mac >>>===(x)===>
DUGABOY1, and MacD37 founding member of DRSS www.doublerifleshooterssociety.com
"If I die today, I have had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"

Post Extras Print Post   Remind Me!     Notify Moderator

Entire topic
Subject Posted by Posted on
* Speed Test--Double vs Bolt Rifle..per RIFLE SHOOTER Mag Ripp 29/12/14 09:26 AM
. * * Re: Speed Test--Double vs Bolt Rifle..per RIFLE SHOOTER Mag Ash   08/01/15 04:10 AM
. * * Re: Speed Test--Double vs Bolt Rifle..per RIFLE SHOOTER Mag DUGABOY1   08/01/15 06:30 AM
. * * Re: Speed Test--Double vs Bolt Rifle..per RIFLE SHOOTER Mag Ash   08/01/15 06:35 AM
. * * Re: Speed Test--Double vs Bolt Rifle..per RIFLE SHOOTER Mag Ripp   09/01/15 01:09 AM
. * * Re: Speed Test--Double vs Bolt Rifle..per RIFLE SHOOTER Mag DarylS   09/01/15 02:22 AM
. * * Re: Speed Test--Double vs Bolt Rifle..per RIFLE SHOOTER Mag Englishman   19/01/15 05:30 AM
. * * Re: Speed Test--Double vs Bolt Rifle..per RIFLE SHOOTER Mag DUGABOY1   04/01/15 05:20 PM
. * * Re: Speed Test--Double vs Bolt Rifle..per RIFLE SHOOTER Mag NitroXAdministrator   04/01/15 05:37 PM
. * * Re: Speed Test--Double vs Bolt Rifle..per RIFLE SHOOTER Mag eagle27   04/01/15 07:21 PM
. * * Re: Speed Test--Double vs Bolt Rifle..per RIFLE SHOOTER Mag DUGABOY1   05/01/15 04:57 AM
. * * Re: Speed Test--Double vs Bolt Rifle..per RIFLE SHOOTER Mag NitroXAdministrator   05/01/15 11:23 PM
. * * Re: Speed Test--Double vs Bolt Rifle..per RIFLE SHOOTER Mag Ripp   06/01/15 01:31 AM
. * * Re: Speed Test--Double vs Bolt Rifle..per RIFLE SHOOTER Mag NitroXAdministrator   07/01/15 05:29 PM
. * * Re: Speed Test--Double vs Bolt Rifle..per RIFLE SHOOTER Mag Postman   05/01/15 05:08 AM
. * * Re: Speed Test--Double vs Bolt Rifle..per RIFLE SHOOTER Mag DUGABOY1   05/01/15 06:50 AM
. * * Re: Speed Test--Double vs Bolt Rifle..per RIFLE SHOOTER Mag DarylS   05/01/15 09:58 AM
. * * Re: Speed Test--Double vs Bolt Rifle..per RIFLE SHOOTER Mag NitroXAdministrator   05/01/15 11:24 PM
. * * Re: Speed Test--Double vs Bolt Rifle..per RIFLE SHOOTER Mag NitroXAdministrator   04/01/15 10:11 PM
. * * Re: Speed Test--Double vs Bolt Rifle..per RIFLE SHOOTER Mag DarylS   05/01/15 03:32 AM
. * * Re: Speed Test--Double vs Bolt Rifle..per RIFLE SHOOTER Mag NitroXAdministrator   05/01/15 11:30 PM
. * * Re: Speed Test--Double vs Bolt Rifle..per RIFLE SHOOTER Mag Postman   05/01/15 04:56 AM
. * * Re: Speed Test--Double vs Bolt Rifle..per RIFLE SHOOTER Mag TH44   29/12/14 11:54 AM
. * * Re: Speed Test--Double vs Bolt Rifle..per RIFLE SHOOTER Mag Ripp   30/12/14 01:23 AM
. * * Re: Speed Test--Double vs Bolt Rifle..per RIFLE SHOOTER Mag NitroXAdministrator   03/01/15 05:04 PM
. * * Re: Speed Test--Double vs Bolt Rifle..per RIFLE SHOOTER Mag DarylS   30/12/14 03:57 AM
. * * Re: Speed Test--Double vs Bolt Rifle..per RIFLE SHOOTER Mag Postman   30/12/14 10:03 PM
. * * Re: Speed Test--Double vs Bolt Rifle..per RIFLE SHOOTER Mag Deutsche_Vortrekker   31/12/14 09:16 AM
. * * Re: Speed Test--Double vs Bolt Rifle..per RIFLE SHOOTER Mag eagle27   31/12/14 12:55 PM
. * * Re: Speed Test--Double vs Bolt Rifle..per RIFLE SHOOTER Mag Postman   31/12/14 01:38 PM
. * * Re: Speed Test--Double vs Bolt Rifle..per RIFLE SHOOTER Mag Ripp   01/01/15 01:10 AM
. * * Re: Speed Test--Double vs Bolt Rifle..per RIFLE SHOOTER Mag xausa   01/01/15 11:06 PM
. * * Re: Speed Test--Double vs Bolt Rifle..per RIFLE SHOOTER Mag Muskwa   02/01/15 05:54 AM
. * * Re: Speed Test--Double vs Bolt Rifle..per RIFLE SHOOTER Mag gunbug   02/01/15 11:45 AM
. * * Re: Speed Test--Double vs Bolt Rifle..per RIFLE SHOOTER Mag xausa   03/01/15 02:36 AM
. * * Re: Speed Test--Double vs Bolt Rifle..per RIFLE SHOOTER Mag cordite   03/01/15 03:59 AM
. * * Re: Speed Test--Double vs Bolt Rifle..per RIFLE SHOOTER Mag mauserand9mm   02/01/15 06:59 PM
. * * Re: Speed Test--Double vs Bolt Rifle..per RIFLE SHOOTER Mag eagle27   03/01/15 11:15 AM
. * * Re: Speed Test--Double vs Bolt Rifle..per RIFLE SHOOTER Mag xausa   02/01/15 08:36 PM
. * * Re: Speed Test--Double vs Bolt Rifle..per RIFLE SHOOTER Mag Postman   02/01/15 10:13 PM
. * * Re: Speed Test--Double vs Bolt Rifle..per RIFLE SHOOTER Mag Ripp   03/01/15 10:33 AM

Extra information
0 registered and 57 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  CptCurl 

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Thread views: 17136

Rate this thread

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com