Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Side x side shotgun actions conversion builds acceptable?

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Double Rifles, Single Shots & Combinations >> Building Double Rifles & Gunsmithing

Mauser416
.300 member

Reged: 20/06/07
Loc: Corpus Christi, Texas
Re: Side x side shotgun actions conversion builds acceptable?
      25/12/14 03:37 PM

Ellis Brown wrote a book about making such conversions which has a wealth of information. As mentioned in the previous post many observations are "filtered" from a particular perspective whether good or bad. Butch Searcy (U.S.) started out building conversions.

Unless your gun is built by a gunsmith with a well-established reputation it will "always" be held as second class when compared to the established makers such as Heym, Merkel, Blaser, etc. ... well maybe not Blaser according to some, LOL.

When done by a knowledgeable person I think conversions guns offer a highly custom product at a "reasonable" price. Folks doing such conversions are typically open to a fairly wide range of cartridges. I have one in the works and have chosen 45-120 as the cartridge. The brass is significantly cheaper than the 450 NE and is a bit easier to find. If you want a .303 from one of the big makers you may end up with a custom project but with a conversion gun the cost could be no different than if you had chosen one of the typical chamberings.

You do have to be careful when dealing with conversion guns. My first attempt at engaging a smith for this was a total disaster. Just because someone is a good rifle smith does not mean they are a good double rifle smith.

I think many folks would agree that one of Searcy's earlier conversions is probably better than a production SIACE, FAIR or Sabatti.

There are always exceptions but for the most part I think conversions will be held in a lesser position to the established production guns when it comes to monetary worth. From a mechanical standpoint I think a conversion guns can be just as good as production guns. I've seen some conversion guns built on Beretta guns by one of the forum members that are works of art in their own right. While I love my Sabatti 450-400 I would definitely hold their conversion guns above the Sabatti. The conversion gun will cost about the same as the Sabatti was listed for but the conversion gun will give me the choice of chambering, sights, length of pull, forearm type, barrel length, gun weight, regulating load, etc. Mine will happen to be built on a sidelock action.

Eric

--------------------
There is nothing worse in this world than an enslaved man who naively believes himself free, except, perhaps, trying to explain to that same man his predicament.

Post Extras Print Post   Remind Me!     Notify Moderator

Entire topic
Subject Posted by Posted on
* Side x side shotgun actions conversion builds acceptable? GPJ12345 25/12/14 06:24 AM
. * * Re: Side x side shotgun actions conversion builds acceptable? Mauser416   25/12/14 03:37 PM
. * * Re: Side x side shotgun actions conversion builds acceptable? GPJ12345   25/12/14 04:59 PM
. * * Re: Side x side shotgun actions conversion builds acceptable? Mauser416   26/12/14 09:44 AM
. * * Re: Side x side shotgun actions conversion builds acceptable? DarylS   27/12/14 03:07 AM
. * * Re: Side x side shotgun actions conversion builds acceptable? Ckhobart   29/12/14 11:32 AM
. * * Re: Side x side shotgun actions conversion builds acceptable? GPJ12345   09/01/15 07:10 AM
. * * Re: Side x side shotgun actions conversion builds acceptable? ChrisPer   25/12/14 11:24 AM

Extra information
0 registered and 39 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  CptCurl 

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Thread views: 3542

Rate this thread

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com