Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Exploded Muzzle Loader

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Shooting & Reloading - Mausers, Big Bores and others >> Muzzleloaders & Blackpowder

Jim_C
.300 member

Reged: 09/08/14
Loc: USA
Re: Exploded Muzzle Loader
      09/11/14 05:25 PM

Quote:

This can easily happen if well over sized proper wads were not used. This, and if the right barrel is fired and reloaded several times without the left barrel fired, can have the effect of loosening the wads in the left barrel(rear trigger). If they loosen enough, they can creep forward in the tube until there is an open space between the powder and the wads making an air space - when finally the left is fired -- BOOOOM - the shot charge and wadding (whatever it was - maybe wasp's nest) are then an obstruction, not a projectile which causes the breech to blow due air space between powder and load.

I think Daryl has it right here. As V. M. Starr wrote, in The Muzzle Loading Shotgun: Its Care and Use, "It is also good practice if it so happens that you fire one barrel several times without firing the other, to check with your ram rod and see if the shot wad is still tight in the unfired barrel, a half dozen shots or so will sometimes loosen the wad and let the shot roll out and spoil your shot right when you need it most." It will also, occasionally, blow out the barrel as shown in the picture.

As a kid, I visited Starr several times. He had a number of barrels that had been blown out in this fashion, as I recall each had the left barrel blown. He gave me one such gun to use to practice cutting a jug choke; the barrel was blown out about the same, and the hammer nose split a little worse. (The load in that barrel had been a ball seated between two wads, on top of about 5 drams of Fg. The ball had apparently moved forward, and blew the barrel when fired. Starr said this showed why you should be careful about to whom you loan your guns.)

In my experience, a couple of other suggestions seem unlikely. When a twist-steel barrel such as this fails due to flaws, it usually "unwinds" where it was wrapped around the mandrel in forging. Smokeless loads tend to shatter the barrel all around the circumference (except sometimes where the barrel is soldered or brazed to the adjacent barrel).

Post Extras Print Post   Remind Me!     Notify Moderator

Entire topic
Subject Posted by Posted on
* Exploded Muzzle Loader lancaster 19/10/13 09:14 PM
. * * Re: Exploded Muzzle Loader DarylSModerator   20/10/13 03:54 AM
. * * Re: Exploded Muzzle Loader lancaster   20/10/13 04:33 AM
. * * Re: Exploded Muzzle Loader aromakr   20/10/13 08:33 AM
. * * Re: Exploded Muzzle Loader fuhrmann   20/10/13 09:00 AM
. * * Re: Exploded Muzzle Loader DarylSModerator   21/10/13 04:24 AM
. * * Re: Exploded Muzzle Loader Dphariss   04/11/13 01:41 PM
. * * Re: Exploded Muzzle Loader DarylSModerator   05/11/13 03:08 AM
. * * Re: Exploded Muzzle Loader Marrakai   05/11/13 12:31 PM
. * * Re: Exploded Muzzle Loader DarylSModerator   19/11/13 02:39 AM
. * * Re: Exploded Muzzle Loader dpcd67   09/11/14 06:09 AM
. * * Re: Exploded Muzzle Loader DarylSModerator   09/11/14 06:53 AM
. * * Re: Exploded Muzzle Loader Jim_C   09/11/14 05:25 PM

Extra information
0 registered and 2 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  DarylS 

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Thread views: 7331

Rate this thread

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com