Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Is this the Ultimate Hunting Jeep?

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Miscellaneous Topics >> Sporting equipment

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Reged: 25/12/02
Loc: Barossa Valley, South Australi...
Re: Is this the Ultimate Hunting Jeep?
      05/09/14 05:07 PM

Quote:

Fitted floor mats are only necessary to protect the plush carpet.

Yes my Landcruiser has good vinyl floors, with carpet floor mats to protect them. Actually they don't at the moment, didn't put them back the last time the mud was cleaned out of them.

Quote:

The FLIR is a joke that adds $$$, sure it lets you see in the dark; but are you really supposed to drive watching the screen instead of the road through the windshield

Yes that was an amusing "extra". I remember some Indian dude hiring a 4WD in Windhoek, planning to drive overland to Kenya, using his GPS screen at night to drive around turns and coming foul in a write-off accident just outside of Windhoek. When the GPS didn;t show a bend properly! Very funny.

Good point, I wondered about how to see a deer outside the limit of headlights in that bloody thing. What are these things FLIR really used for???

Quote:

Theres a pod for your fly rods BUT no rifle rack? How F-ing PC is that???

There were rifle storage in the lockable drawers. As an Aussie where we need to secure our firearms better under the law than in the USA I thought they were a good idea. I noted a long arm storage section diagonally in the top drawer. Also a Steyr-Aug in the the bottom left drawer. Some people are too busy being indignant and negative to actually look at what is in front of them ...

I have a couple of drawers in my Landcruier. But neither long enough for a long arm. They will fit a Mauser M03 case with the rifle taken down in it. I checked that. But only one case, what good is that?!

In Aussie in most states, it is required to have the rifle unloaded and stored out of sight. Usually in a gun bag or case is good. And covered out of sight. Some states require the bolt to be separated. What a pain, and easy way to loose it. I like to be able to lock the guns up if possible. Always a question, what to do if staying in a hotel or motel overnight. Leave them in a vehicle? Or take inside? Locked reasonably securely in a lockable metal drawer is a big plus.

YEP, a rifle rack somewhere is essential, when driving off public roads in hunting country. What do people here do and use? A ceiling roof rack? One being the front seats? A windscreen "rack"? The good old ute back window rack?

Quote:

How'bout a second spare tire and a second hi lift jack? And theres no mention of extra gas cans.

Yep a second tyre or third is a good idea. My Landcruiser has one underneath, one on a carrier on the back and usually a third on the roof rack if using one. Some guys mount a second carrier on the back but rarely do you see this. Plus a couple of spare tubes as well carried if needed.

Having had two flats in the middle of one night driving in outback Aust from Victoria to SA, it gets nervy when there is no longer ANY spare. It wasn't meant to be a "outback" trip just a different route. And some of the roads between the River and the Adelaide/Flinders Ranges can be very empty at 2 am!

Quote:

The water in the bumper is cute until that filter pump gets covered with mud or gets snapped off.

I guess smart people unscrew it when not in use. As it is removable and there are TWO water storage spots.

Lots of good old Aussie 4WDs have been set up with water storage tanks somewhere. Usually with a tap underneath and gravity fed. I ALWAYS carry a spare 20 litre plastic drum of water as an emergency supply. Not to be used during normal use. Plus additional drums. But really when piling in all those fuel and water jerry cans, plus the gun racks, fridge, esky (icebox for the linguistically challenged), the books to replace that annoying electronics, and all that shit, where is one going to sit!

Quote:

Jerry cans are a whole lot easier to fill and share and move around.

Yep.

BTW a lot of Aussie vehicles have two fuel tanks, and not some dicky tiny thing behind the spare wheel needing a syphon. Just push a button. Plus jerry cans galore.

I once took this fucking idiot and irritating German hunter out for a deer hunt. He was the husband of a friend of a friend of a relative ... I was supposed to get a swap hunt boar hunting with him in Germany, but he was such a negative pain in the arse during that hunt that I decided I never wanted to hunt with him again ... anyway he spoke next to no English, and didn't bother to try to learn even the most basic words, negative arrogant jerk. Anyway I didn't realise he was looking at my fuel gauge and was getting worried it was nearing empty! Shock horror! So he demanded one afternoon we go to visit his wife and friend holidaying on the coast about a 1 1/2 hour drive away. Fuck that, for an afternoon waste of time and energy. Anyway he demanded so we did it. Turned out he wanted his wife to tell me he was worried about running out of fuel. I then told them, I had a spare 45 litre tank still fuel PLUS a 20 litre jerry can bumping around in the back ... inaddition to the 90 litre standard tank. Now I did have to refuel ... this jerk used to use his mobile phone all day to text and talk to his wife, even when we were looking at a nice stag, before it of course ran off ... should have thrown his phone away, would do that now ....

Quote:

YES this is an interesting build but no doubt its way out of the price range for anyone that's likely to use it.

While this is an example, lots of Aussies do add to their hunting vehicles, lots of useful things and additions. A second fuel tank is pretty much a given. A spare tyre carrier on the back. A good bull bar. Not that gay American thing on the Jeep. A real one. UHF radio. Better suspension. Roof rack. Winch of some sort. Fridge and fridge slide! Cargo barrier. I notice this Jeep didn't have one. Useful to stay alive, when you roll the 4WD down a hillside. Better tyres. Extra battery. Water storage tanks. Lots of stuff. Some I have on my Landcruiser, some I don't.

I think sometimes looking at something with a bit of positiveness goes a long way, as an example, with some flaws and some positive features.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Govt get out of our lives NOW!
"I love the smell of cordite in the morning."
"A Sharp spear needs no polish"

Post Extras Print Post   Remind Me!     Notify Moderator

Entire topic
Subject Posted by Posted on
* Is this the Ultimate Hunting Jeep? NitroXAdministrator 05/09/14 03:03 AM
. * * Re: Is this the Ultimate Hunting Jeep? EDELWEISS   05/09/14 05:25 AM
. * * Re: Is this the Ultimate Hunting Jeep? NitroXAdministrator   05/09/14 05:07 PM
. * * Re: Is this the Ultimate Hunting Jeep? EDELWEISS   07/09/14 05:05 AM
. * * Re: Is this the Ultimate Hunting Jeep? Yochanan   07/09/14 08:17 AM
. * * Re: Is this the Ultimate Hunting Jeep? NitroXAdministrator   05/09/14 06:19 PM
. * * Re: Is this the Ultimate Hunting Jeep? 93mouse   05/09/14 06:34 PM
. * * Re: Is this the Ultimate Hunting Jeep? Dumprat   05/09/14 11:54 PM
. * * Re: Is this the Ultimate Hunting Jeep? NitroXAdministrator   06/09/14 12:15 AM
. * * Re: Is this the Ultimate Hunting Jeep? 9.3x57   06/09/14 06:47 AM
. * * Re: Is this the Ultimate Hunting Jeep? Dumprat   06/09/14 07:05 AM
. * * Re: Is this the Ultimate Hunting Jeep? Waidmannsheil   05/09/14 07:49 AM
. * * Re: Is this the Ultimate Hunting Jeep? MikeRowe   05/09/14 11:09 AM

Extra information
0 registered and 1 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  NitroX 

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Thread views: 13233

Rate this thread

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com