Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: What do we know about John Dawkins ??

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Hunting >> Hunting in Africa & hunting dangerous game

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Reged: 25/12/02
Loc: Barossa Valley, South Australi...
Re: What do we know about John Dawkins ??
      29/05/14 01:50 PM

John Dawkins was a South Australian and had a sheep property, maybe cattle, in the South East of SA.

He died only a few years ago. I missed out on meeting him. An acquaintance of mine, a PH from Zimbabwe who was or is living in Adelaide after loosing his farm in Zimbabwe, just telephoned him and arranged a meeting at his property and went down to chat. I wish I had thought of this, and John Dawkins was reported to be a very approachable man. John died as a result of burns received from an accident with fuel from a bird/pheasant incubator. I believe he was in his eighties.

John Dawkins held pheasant/bird shoots on his SE property each year for invited guests.

John Taylor was a friend of his and visited him at least twice in South Australia. One of his books was written on Dawkin's property in the SE - "Maneaters and Marauders". I believe Dawkins and Taylor also hunted water buffalo in the NT together as well.

John Dawkins wrotea book titled "Rogues and Marauders". It is a good book and worth reading. I have two or three copies, a later edition, out of print, and then a first edition. It can be quite costly but sometimes decently priced copies can be found. I would love to publish an online edition if permission could be granted. Or maybe as an audio recording.

John Dawkins hunted with Taylor in Africa, and sometimes under Taylor's elephant licence. It was common practice for white hunters to hunt more than the licensed elephants for ivory by shooting additional elephants from other persons licenses, who either could not hunt or did not want to hunt themselves, sharing some of the ivory profits.

Yes John Taylor was a homosexual. I had this confirmed by the son of another Australian who also had hunted with Taylor in Tanzania.

John Dawkins often hunted with his wife in Tanzania, and amusingly often they lived in a caravan travelling around in it in the African bush. First time I have heard of a caravan in the African bush in those days.

There is probably a lot more on the NE forums. Do a search on "John Dawkins".

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Govt get out of our lives NOW!
"I love the smell of cordite in the morning."
"A Sharp spear needs no polish"

Edited by NitroX (29/05/14 02:03 PM)

Post Extras Print Post   Remind Me!     Notify Moderator

Entire topic
Subject Posted by Posted on
* What do we know about John Dawkins ?? twobobbwana 29/05/14 10:43 AM
. * * Re: What do we know about John Dawkins ?? NitroXAdministrator   29/05/14 01:50 PM
. * * Re: What do we know about John Dawkins ?? NitroXAdministrator   29/05/14 01:55 PM
. * * Re: What do we know about John Dawkins ?? NitroXAdministrator   29/05/14 02:00 PM
. * * Re: What do we know about John Dawkins ?? NitroXAdministrator   29/05/14 02:04 PM
. * * Re: What do we know about John Dawkins ?? NitroXAdministrator   10/08/22 12:26 AM
. * * Re: What do we know about John Dawkins ?? 3DogMike   10/08/22 01:50 PM
. * * Re: What do we know about John Dawkins ?? NitroXAdministrator   10/08/22 11:25 PM
. * * John Dawkins "Rogues and Marauders" NitroXAdministrator   10/08/22 01:34 AM
. * * Re: What do we know about John Dawkins ?? NitroXAdministrator   29/05/14 02:23 PM
. * * Re: What do we know about John Dawkins ?? Rockdoc   29/05/14 02:38 PM
. * * Re: What do we know about John Dawkins ?? Sville   30/05/14 03:02 AM
. * * Re: What do we know about John Dawkins ?? twobobbwana   30/05/14 10:44 AM
. * * Re: What do we know about John Dawkins ?? twobobbwana   30/05/14 10:45 AM
. * * Re: What do we know about John Dawkins ?? NitroXAdministrator   30/05/14 02:35 PM
. * * Re: What do we know about John Dawkins ?? ozhunter   01/06/14 08:31 PM
. * * Re: What do we know about John Dawkins ?? NitroXAdministrator   02/06/14 04:12 AM

Extra information
0 registered and 15 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:   

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Thread views: 4783

Rate this thread

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com