Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: The reality of hunting bans in Kenya. Botswana is next.

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Hunting >> Hunting in Africa & hunting dangerous game

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Reged: 25/12/02
Loc: Barossa Valley, South Australi...
The reality of hunting bans in Kenya. Botswana is next.
      27/03/14 01:31 AM

The reality of hunting bans in Kenya. Botswana is next.

http://allafrica.com/stories/201403250960.html

Kenya: Uhuru Expresses His 'Disgust' With Poaching Trade
25 MARCH 2014

President Uhuru Kenyatta has called on security agencies and wildlife authorities in the East African region to tighten their cooperation in order to stem the rise of poaching incidents.

Speaking while addressing the East African Legislative Assembly in Arusha, Tanzania.

President Kenyatta said few challenges facing the region "fill me with as much disgust as the recent upsurge of illicit trade in wildlife products, especially ivory and rhino horn."

He said that in spite of anti-poaching measures, East Africa has been identified as a major source region and a favourite route for the trade saying that in the period between January and October 2013 alone, over ten tones of ivory were intercepted at the port of Mombasa.

"The latest Interpol report, for instance, estimates a 68% increase in 2013 over the total tonnage seized in 2012. These developments represent a deadly threat not only to the livelihoods of communities that benefit directly and indirectly from wildlife, but also to our tourist industry which in some of our partner states contributes more than 10% of our Gross Domestic Product (GDP)." he said.

Kenyatta added that even more worrying is the concern that the proceedings from the illicit trade may be funding terrorist activities.

He said that in addition to poaching, terrorism continues to pose a serious security threat to the EAC. He said that any approach that concentrates on keeping individual country safe offers only the "illusion of security."

"The transnational nature of terrorism vividly illustrates that my neighbour's peace is my concern as much as his. The community is admirably placed to contribute to the joint search for peace and political stability in our neighbourhood, especially in the Republic of Somalia, South Sudan and in the Great Lakes that are currently experiencing serious conflicts." Kenyatta said.

He further said that the EAC has signed to protocols on Cooperation in Defence, Peace and security which will come into force this year stating that a panel of eminent persons which together with EAC Early Warning Mechanism will ensure quick responses to potential conflict in the region.

He said that the EAC Assembly had further initiated a bill on Disaster Risk Reduction and Management to reduce to the loss of lives and property through natural and man-made disasters.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Govt get out of our lives NOW!
"I love the smell of cordite in the morning."
"A Sharp spear needs no polish"

Post Extras Print Post   Remind Me!     Notify Moderator

Entire topic
Subject Posted by Posted on
* The reality of hunting bans in Kenya. Botswana is next. NitroXAdministrator 27/03/14 01:31 AM
. * * Re: The reality of hunting bans in Kenya. Botswana is next. NitroXAdministrator   27/03/14 01:33 AM

Extra information
1 registered and 524 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:   

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Thread views: 1079

Rate this thread

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com