Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: TUSKLESS ELEPHANT HUNTING

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Hunting >> Hunting in Africa & hunting dangerous game

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Reged: 25/12/02
Loc: Barossa Valley, South Australi...
Re: TUSKLESS ELEPHANT HUNTING
      02/02/14 05:25 PM

Yes quite a few members have. I saw this a day ago but thought to leave others reply first. So I'm surprised no one has yet replied?

I hunted two tuskless cow elephants in the Northern Omay concession. On a cow tusker permit. One was completely free as a true cull, its trunk having been cut off in a poachers snare. I had the option to also take a cape buffalo bull but seeing I still had a cow permit, we kept on, on that until filled. Normally the PH said it takes a day or two to fill, but it took us about six days to fill as the elephant were unexpectedly quiet with little movement on the dirt roads. Usually elephant are found by driving the roads looking for tracks and then followed up. Of course we looked over several herds before and after the first cull, and it was all great fun, and some memorable moments, especially when the elephants were unaware of us, we were sitting watching them on a cliff until they cut our scent and all immediately raced away downwind.

Most exciting was being chased away from the first downed cow, four or fives times by the herd, dust in the air a hundred feet, trees being broken down, trumpeting, and backing away from the herd double rifle raised just in case.

Another time being in the middle of a herd, with swirling winds, the elephants unable to identify where we were. They would race off in a direction to stop to listen and smell, then do it again as the wind swirled. Until they broke off into lots of confused groups with elephants running about everywhere. Very exciting and probably a considerable element of danger, but never a very close encounter that time.

Another time being told to race around a tree and shoot the cow waiting to ambush anyone coming around the tree. I rounded it cautiously as the cow would have been all of eight feet away when I got around the tree, facing me, ready to squash what was following it. I was happy when she took fright and ran away instead before I got around the tree as eight feet away from a facing elephant is a little too close!

Hunting a buffalo herd, with three elephant bulls just in front of us, maybe twenty yards ahead, unaware of us, we had to keep stopping to let the feeding bulls move on, before following the buffalo herd. None of the buffalo were mature enough hard bossed bulls so this one and only encounter with buffalo meant no horns to bring home. The main hunting area was higher up over the escarpment in the Omay hills. The better elephant area was down on the Valley flats near Lake Kariba.

So I think you can guess from my comments, I find cow elephant hunting in the herds quite exciting and definitely worth doing. I long to do it again and also hunt cape buffalo again.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Govt get out of our lives NOW!
"I love the smell of cordite in the morning."
"A Sharp spear needs no polish"

Post Extras Print Post   Remind Me!     Notify Moderator

Entire topic
Subject Posted by Posted on
* TUSKLESS ELEPHANT HUNTING TOBY458 01/02/14 12:56 PM
. * * Re: TUSKLESS ELEPHANT HUNTING NitroXAdministrator   02/02/14 05:25 PM
. * * Re: TUSKLESS ELEPHANT HUNTING Rule303   04/02/14 06:52 PM
. * * Re: TUSKLESS ELEPHANT HUNTING TOBY458   05/02/14 02:29 AM
. * * Re: TUSKLESS ELEPHANT HUNTING poprivit   05/02/14 03:13 AM
. * * Re: TUSKLESS ELEPHANT HUNTING Shackleton   14/02/14 02:40 PM
. * * Re: TUSKLESS ELEPHANT HUNTING TOBY458   03/02/14 04:21 AM
. * * Re: TUSKLESS ELEPHANT HUNTING NitroXAdministrator   04/02/14 03:37 PM
. * * Re: TUSKLESS ELEPHANT HUNTING poprivit   03/02/14 04:55 AM
. * * Re: TUSKLESS ELEPHANT HUNTING Shackleton   04/02/14 03:25 PM
. * * Re: TUSKLESS ELEPHANT HUNTING EricD   03/02/14 05:16 AM
. * * Re: TUSKLESS ELEPHANT HUNTING TOBY458   03/02/14 05:58 AM
. * * Re: TUSKLESS ELEPHANT HUNTING Cazadero   03/02/14 03:31 PM
. * * Re: TUSKLESS ELEPHANT HUNTING ozhunter   03/02/14 06:02 PM
. * * Re: TUSKLESS ELEPHANT HUNTING Ripp   04/02/14 02:54 AM
. * * Re: TUSKLESS ELEPHANT HUNTING TOBY458   04/02/14 03:42 AM
. * * Re: TUSKLESS ELEPHANT HUNTING Ripp   05/02/14 09:02 AM
. * * Re: TUSKLESS ELEPHANT HUNTING Cazadero   05/02/14 04:24 PM
. * * Re: TUSKLESS ELEPHANT HUNTING ozhunter   14/02/14 04:22 PM
. * * Re: TUSKLESS ELEPHANT HUNTING ejsxs   23/07/14 11:49 AM

Extra information
0 registered and 38 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:   

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Thread views: 4678

Rate this thread

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com