Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Anyone ever hunted with Mark Sullivan?

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Hunting >> Hunting in Africa & hunting dangerous game

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Reged: 25/12/02
Loc: Barossa Valley, South Australi...
Re: Anyone ever hunted with Mark Sullivan?
      29/01/14 05:57 PM

Quote:

One could observe that perhaps those who choose to hunt with MS have done so because they look for the gung ho in your face sort of experience either because they may have those tendencies themselves or maybe the opposite end of the spectrum, in need of a boost to their own self esteem. Of course those that choose to go hunt with Mark are not going to have anything but the highest praise for him, they would not go if not.

So these clients are not able to comment negatively AFTER a safari if it doesn't go well? Bullshit.

"in need of a boost to their own self esteem"
Quite some insulting comments to clients of his who you also have never met. IMO. In fact some of those sorts of comments sound like the classic greenie comments that hunters are only looking to "boost their self esteem" and "make up for their own inadequacies". Especially when it comes to dangerous game hunting,

Quote:

Sure I have never met or spoken with the man, but the posturing stances, actions and words in the many photos and some video clips I've seen of Mark convinces me that I would be well out of my comfort zone with him. Just not my scene, never has been and never will.

Lots of outfitters to choose from. Myself I also would choose elsewhere if booking a hunt for several reasons.

Quote:

Of course with MS it is the 'on camera' persona that is the issue because that is the person who is the PH for those that choose to hunt with him. What he is like away from the hunt and off camera is irrelevant in this case.

This is also rubbish. By far not every safari is videoed for DVD's and the person in front of a camera for DVD dramatisation is not necessary the same person away from it.

Claydog: The late Allen Day was a member here years ago but is now deceased. He is in one of MS's early videos, or many two videos and he never had anything bad to say, and that MS never shot any of his animals for him. A couple of other members over the years have also commented, and on other forums to date I have never read any bad from an actual client. I have also spoken to maybe a couple of clients over the years. But YES it would be good for any actual clients to speak up with GOOD or BAD comments.

Quote:

TOBY: So I really don't get the unethical part that everyone speaks of. How is following a buffalo right away, and killing him sooner than later, unethical? I think waiting around a half hour to let him "stiffen" is more unethical. But on the other hand, it is the PH's responsibility to keep the client safe as well.

The unethical part comes from others usually competitors on internet forums claiming MS shoots buffalo in the gut and also leaves lots of wounded buffalo in the field after his safaris. These claims are never substantiated or have first hand commenters. Always, "I heard that MS ...".

And it is not necessary to shoot cape buffalo in the gut for them to live long enough to induce charges. A lung shot if followed up quickly and if the animal is approached face on, may cause a charge. The usual practice of a half hour to "stiffen up" may mean the animal bleeds out or is weak. And the usual practice is to approach a downed cape buffalo from behind and downwind so it neither sees or smells the approach.

Someone also mentioned not knowing about other PHs / Outfitters when they book with them as they are less known.

This is 100% true. An example:

I hunted with one PH who repeatedly made comments like "Pity you don't own a Lear Jet, so we could jet off for a few hours somewhere on a beach ...". Many comments, obviously he only wants billionaire clients ... I ask a lot of questions before booking a hunt. This immature (adult) PH made a pre-conception "That I was going to be a difficult client" because I had asked so many questions, and told me so on the drive to the concession. I told him after a safari was booked and when on safari I was very easy going, and he had to admit that at the end, after the safari ended in a complete fuck up, ie warvet invasion. When I wounded a zebra after a few hours he started to harass me saying if we kept "wasting time following this zebra, you won't fill out your trophy bag and will complain later!" Obviously a "full trophy bag" and especially the FEES to him were important to him, but not to me at all. I had no intention of a "full trophy bag", and also wanted to kill the wounded zebra. Unethical PH, eh, by the standards used to attack MS. This PH has a good name among the prestigious outfitters btw. Oh and he also physically threatened me during the safari, due to his immaturity and paranoia. A lot of PHs get very paranoid if you take notes, as they think it will be used against them ... I take notes for stories, articles, and personal history ...

Could mention other PH experiences ...

Toby, good luck with your safari. Hope it works out well if you book with MS or anyone else, and hope you tell us about it here, photos etc. Good hunting.

Finally, decided to add, I could have emulated MS one time when hunting a scrub bull in Arnhemland. I had shot the bull with a too long flanking shot from behind, too much bone, muscle, gut to really get to the vitals. A .450 NE 480 gr RNSP. As it turned I shot in in the chest/lungs witht he second barrel. The bull on being hit came running down the hill looking for me. I hid behind a tree and reloaded one barrel, peeked around the tree and gave it a good shot to the shoulder/chest which blew a large blood vapour cloud from its wounded and mouth into the air and it dropped.

Now I could have stepped around the tree so it could see me, and maybe would charge me from 20 yards. A video camera was running (I hope?! Never viewed the film!) and it could have made an excellent charge video. And tested me out as to whether I could drop it or not! But I wisely chose discretion and shot it from hiding and killed it dead.

I still wonder if I would choose to induce a charge or not. I both would like one and also dislike them if thinking in advance. Like most hunters.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Govt get out of our lives NOW!
"I love the smell of cordite in the morning."
"A Sharp spear needs no polish"

Post Extras Print Post   Remind Me!     Notify Moderator

Entire topic
Subject Posted by Posted on
* Anyone ever hunted with Mark Sullivan? TOBY458 27/01/14 02:34 PM
. * * Re: Anyone ever hunted with Mark Sullivan? twobobbwana   31/01/14 04:52 PM
. * * Re: Anyone ever hunted with Mark Sullivan? ruffcountry   07/02/14 05:55 PM
. * * Re: Anyone ever hunted with Mark Sullivan? gryphon   08/02/14 09:33 AM
. * * Re: Anyone ever hunted with Mark Sullivan? TOBY458   01/02/14 02:16 AM
. * * Re: Anyone ever hunted with Mark Sullivan? Claydog   01/02/14 08:36 AM
. * * Re: Anyone ever hunted with Mark Sullivan? Westley375   13/02/14 07:00 AM
. * * Re: Anyone ever hunted with Mark Sullivan? TOBY458   13/02/14 08:36 AM
. * * Re: Anyone ever hunted with Mark Sullivan? akjeff   13/02/14 01:33 PM
. * * Re: Anyone ever hunted with Mark Sullivan? eagle27   13/02/14 05:13 PM
. * * Re: Anyone ever hunted with Mark Sullivan? HuntingSchneider   01/02/14 03:02 PM
. * * Re: Anyone ever hunted with Mark Sullivan? TOBY458   02/02/14 04:11 AM
. * * Re: Anyone ever hunted with Mark Sullivan? Cazadero   03/02/14 03:44 PM
. * * Re: Anyone ever hunted with Mark Sullivan? mikeh416Rigby   06/02/14 05:12 AM
. * * Re: Anyone ever hunted with Mark Sullivan? Cazadero   07/02/14 05:49 PM
. * * Re: Anyone ever hunted with Mark Sullivan? TOBY458   06/02/14 11:13 AM
. * * Re: Anyone ever hunted with Mark Sullivan? mikeh416Rigby   08/02/14 06:19 AM
. * * Re: Anyone ever hunted with Mark Sullivan? NitroXAdministrator   06/02/14 05:52 PM
. * * Re: Anyone ever hunted with Mark Sullivan? NitroXAdministrator   27/01/14 04:04 PM
. * * Re: Anyone ever hunted with Mark Sullivan? mikeh416Rigby   08/02/14 06:41 AM
. * * Re: Anyone ever hunted with Mark Sullivan? eagle27   08/02/14 11:32 AM
. * * Re: Anyone ever hunted with Mark Sullivan? TOBY458   08/02/14 01:06 PM
. * * Re: Anyone ever hunted with Mark Sullivan? NitroXAdministrator   08/02/14 04:24 PM
. * * Re: Anyone ever hunted with Mark Sullivan? larcher   09/02/14 07:01 AM
. * * Re: Anyone ever hunted with Mark Sullivan? jorge   11/02/14 01:48 AM
. * * Re: Anyone ever hunted with Mark Sullivan? NitroXAdministrator   11/02/14 02:12 AM
. * * Re: Anyone ever hunted with Mark Sullivan? mikeh416Rigby   11/02/14 04:04 AM
. * * Re: Anyone ever hunted with Mark Sullivan? TOBY458   11/02/14 01:10 PM
. * * Re: Anyone ever hunted with Mark Sullivan? NitroXAdministrator   09/02/14 12:42 PM
. * * Re: Anyone ever hunted with Mark Sullivan? TOBY458   10/02/14 05:22 AM
. * * Re: Anyone ever hunted with Mark Sullivan? Nitro_Andreas   09/02/14 07:56 AM
. * * Re: Anyone ever hunted with Mark Sullivan? mikeh416Rigby   28/01/14 04:38 AM
. * * Re: Anyone ever hunted with Mark Sullivan? eagle27   28/01/14 05:39 PM
. * * Re: Anyone ever hunted with Mark Sullivan? NitroXAdministrator   29/01/14 05:57 PM
. * * Re: Anyone ever hunted with Mark Sullivan? TOBY458   30/01/14 03:18 AM
. * * Re: Anyone ever hunted with Mark Sullivan? NitroXAdministrator   30/01/14 04:55 AM
. * * Re: Anyone ever hunted with Mark Sullivan? TOBY458   30/01/14 10:07 AM
. * * Re: Anyone ever hunted with Mark Sullivan? mikeh416Rigby   29/01/14 02:22 AM
. * * Re: Anyone ever hunted with Mark Sullivan? eagle27   29/01/14 05:02 AM
. * * Re: Anyone ever hunted with Mark Sullivan? TOBY458   29/01/14 08:24 AM
. * * Re: Anyone ever hunted with Mark Sullivan? HuntingSchneider   29/01/14 01:09 PM
. * * Re: Anyone ever hunted with Mark Sullivan? Claydog   29/01/14 02:12 PM
. * * Re: Anyone ever hunted with Mark Sullivan? TOBY458   29/01/14 02:42 PM
. * * Re: Anyone ever hunted with Mark Sullivan? HuntingSchneider   29/01/14 03:21 PM
. * * Re: Anyone ever hunted with Mark Sullivan? Claydog   29/01/14 02:53 PM
. * * Re: Anyone ever hunted with Mark Sullivan? eagle27   29/01/14 03:36 PM
. * * Re: Anyone ever hunted with Mark Sullivan? TOBY458   29/01/14 04:31 PM
. * * Re: Anyone ever hunted with Mark Sullivan? TOBY458   28/01/14 04:59 AM
. * * Re: Anyone ever hunted with Mark Sullivan? DarylS   28/01/14 09:09 AM
. * * Re: Anyone ever hunted with Mark Sullivan? TOBY458   28/01/14 11:40 AM
. * * Re: Anyone ever hunted with Mark Sullivan? NitroXAdministrator   28/01/14 03:59 PM

Extra information
0 registered and 20 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:   

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Thread views: 10884

Rate this thread

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com