Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: New to me. S&W M19-3 w/6" barrel

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Shooting & Reloading - Mausers, Big Bores and others >> Handguns

Don
.275 member

Reged: 01/12/08
Loc: California
Re: New to me. S&W M19-3 w/6" barrel
      19/10/13 12:02 PM

Many years ago in 1980 while I was in college I bought a Model 19 Combat Magnum used in excellent condition. It had been used by a police officer for target shooting. It had a six inch barrel, target hammer, target trigger, and smooth rosewood grips. Really great pistol! About 20 years ago I packed it in cosmoline paper and stuffed in the back of a gun safe back in my brother's home in West Virginia.

You have an outstanding gun. The Model 19 Combat Magnum was developed at the request of Bill Jordan http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bill_Jordan_(Marine) for a more user friendly pistol. Prior to this Smith & Wesson build there 357s on the large N frame. At Bill's suggestion they used the medium K frame which was used on the 38 Special Combat Masterpiece. To bring the strength up to the 357 Mag requirements (35K lbs/in) S&W used heat treatment and I think they went to a different alloy. The result was a gun that felt great in your hand and didn't wear you out at the end of a shift. For practice, the idea was to use 38 Special loads and only use the full house 357 Mag loads for very serious business. In other words, the M-19 is not intended for a steady diet of 357 Mag loads. I used only 158 grain 38 Special and wadcutter 38 Special in mine when I went to the range. However, I had a box of 357 Magnum 125 grain Jacketed hollow point around my room for serious business.

Post Extras Print Post   Remind Me!     Notify Moderator

Entire topic
Subject Posted by Posted on
* New to me. S&W M19-3 w/6" barrel Checkman 18/10/13 05:52 PM
. * * Re: New to me. S&W M19-3 w/6" barrel Rell   19/10/13 08:13 AM
. * * Re: New to me. S&W M19-3 w/6" barrel Don   19/10/13 12:02 PM
. * * Re: New to me. S&W M19-3 w/6" barrel Checkman   19/10/13 03:26 PM

Extra information
0 registered and 27 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  NitroX 

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Thread views: 1851

Rate this thread

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com