Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: I am probably going about this wrong......

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Double Rifles, Single Shots & Combinations >> Single Shots & Combination Guns

Kiwi_bloke
.333 member

Reged: 03/09/09
Loc: New Zealand
Re: I am probably going about this wrong......
      29/03/13 02:53 PM

I think Sinoxid is a RWS term for non-corrosive. I can't just at the moment find anything to confirm that.

I have used old Berdan primed cases. The RCBS Berdan de-primer usually knicks the anvil and water for hydraulic depriming just makes a mess. So instead I used 30-grade oil and they mostly all popped out using a tight fitting expander to form a seal at the neck. Still makes a mess, but at least oil doesn't create rust if you missed a spot to clean on the reloading press/dies etc. The you have to de-oil the case and dry it, of course. The "new" Berdans I primed with produced good, even velocities, quite on a par with Boxers. If I had a regular supply, I'd use them again.

What I'd suggest is, if/when you use these cases and they're empty, there are recipes for brass cleaning that use vinegar, washing powder, salt and hot water. Bound to be on the net, it was in an old Handloader's Digest. It's not abrasive and so the brass is left intact. That get's the main crud off. Then look at ultra-sonic cleaning and/or a vibratory case cleaner to polish them up.

Especially if you start having neck splits, I'd also then look at annealing their necks only in a few seconds in molten lead. Make sure the DEAD (never live) primer is in, as you don't want lead to move into the case as the air escapes. If it gets in, it will form hardened drops. I've done 6,5x54 M. Sch. this way. I also have a 9,3x72R. It lives at my gunsmiths house and one day he's going to phone me and say it's ready. One day soon....

S&B also make 9.3x72R so it's not too hard to find. The bullets are smaller than other 9.3's so be very careful about that. Don't rush off to buy a set of FL dies until you know what chamber you have. You'll find out as soon as you try to chamber one of those rounds you purchased, which I'd suggest are 9,3x72R Normal. If they don't drop all the way in, you might have one of the early chamber versions, D or E. You can still use the brass & bullets you have, but you'll need to pull the brass and re-size it and possibly remove some material from the front of the rim as well.

A friend of mine, Klaus, has a 9,3x72R. I think it's a 1890's Sauer hammer-Drilling. Perhaps it wasn't nitro-prooved, but he used black powder which he deemed to be much safer. I have some pictures of him using it at the range. You can just make him out under the large rain cloud

Post Extras Print Post   Remind Me!     Notify Moderator

Entire topic
Subject Posted by Posted on
* I am probably going about this wrong...... DonT 25/02/13 06:09 AM
. * * Re: I am probably going about this wrong...... *DELETED* grandveneur   25/02/13 07:34 AM
. * * Re: I am probably going about this wrong...... DarylS   25/02/13 08:02 AM
. * * Re: I am probably going about this wrong...... *DELETED* grandveneur   25/02/13 08:09 AM
. * * Re: I am probably going about this wrong...... eagle27   25/02/13 04:30 PM
. * * Re: I am probably going about this wrong...... AkMike   25/02/13 07:17 PM
. * * Re: I am probably going about this wrong...... Rolf   25/02/13 11:16 PM
. * * Re: I am probably going about this wrong...... Kiwi_bloke   29/03/13 02:53 PM
. * * Re: I am probably going about this wrong...... casper50   25/02/13 06:15 AM

Extra information
1 registered and 24 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Huvius 

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Thread views: 5802

Rate this thread

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com