Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Double Rifle Action Strength comparisons

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Double Rifles, Single Shots & Combinations >> Double Rifles

doubleriflejack
.333 member

Reged: 11/11/07
Loc: Oregon, U.S.A.
Re: Double Rifle Action Strength comparisons
      09/02/13 06:25 AM

DRJ,
I doubt that the proof pressure would be above 30% for rifles chambered for higher pressure cartridges.

I think that the "30% to 50%" does not mean that ALL rifled arms are subjected to proofing above 30%.

I think it means that lower pressure cartridges like for example handgun centerfire, might be proofed at the higher end of the 30-50%, and that higher pressure cartridges like .375 H&H etc might be proofed at the lower end.
Once you are dealing with cartridges producing pressures above 60,000psi, a proof load of plus 30% is going to be pushing the brass cartridge case close to or beyond its limits.

4seventy,
I certainly agree with you on above points. However, as I mentioned in my piece above, my three Sabatti rifles all came with "official" factory proof certificates that clearly indicates that proof was done between 30% and 50% over service pressure, which means exactly as stated, not at 25% over; not even at 30% over, but between 30% and 50% over, 25% over isn't mentioned at all on certificate, so the age of book "The Standard Directory of Proof Marks" has no valid bearing anyway, considering details mentioned on proof certificates that came with new rifles. Reading some "facts" from some publication you don't identify, doesn't always mean it is true. Further, a few days ago, just to verify, to confirm the facts, I had a friend in Italy contact firm in Italy by phone, asking them what proof pressures are presently used, and they confirmed only that "between 30% and 50% over service pressure is used today."

Post Extras Print Post   Remind Me!     Notify Moderator

Entire topic
Subject Posted by Posted on
* Double Rifle Action Strength comparisons doubleriflejack 05/02/13 07:32 AM
. * * Re: Double Rifle Action Strength comparisons 4seventy   05/02/13 02:05 PM
. * * Re: Double Rifle Action Strength comparisons doubleriflejack   06/02/13 06:42 AM
. * * Re: Double Rifle Action Strength comparisons 4seventy   06/02/13 04:09 PM
. * * Re: Double Rifle Action Strength comparisons doubleriflejack   09/02/13 06:25 AM
. * * Re: Double Rifle Action Strength comparisons bonanza   09/02/13 12:02 PM
. * * Re: Double Rifle Action Strength comparisons CptCurlAdministrator   10/02/13 02:41 AM
. * * Re: Double Rifle Action Strength comparisons doubleriflejack   10/02/13 08:36 AM
. * * Re: Double Rifle Action Strength comparisons aromakr   11/02/13 04:14 AM
. * * Re: Double Rifle Action Strength comparisons Igorrock   11/02/13 04:57 AM
. * * Re: Double Rifle Action Strength comparisons 4seventy   10/02/13 08:20 AM

Extra information
0 registered and 87 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  CptCurl 

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Thread views: 7055

Rate this thread

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com