Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: J Corbett, Man Eaters of Kumaon

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Hunting >> Hunting in Asia

Grenadier
.375 member

Reged: 20/02/08
Loc: North of the Columbia, USA
Re: J Corbett, Man Eaters of Kumaon
      21/01/13 06:28 AM

In his many years in the jungle Jim Corbett used several rifles and shotguns. Here you can see discussion of a .275 magazine rifle, a .500 modified cordite double rifle, and a shotgun. Apparently he favored the shotgun when shooting in the dusk or dark. He speaks of slugs but goes on to say "eight slugs" when referring to what the gun fired. Was this four slugs per barrel or four very large pellets of buck per barrel? Anyway, I have edited part of one book down where it discusses these firearms.

Too bad he didn't have a PARADOX Gun. He would have had a choice of .735 caliber solid or hollowpoint bullets and the same gun would have delivered shot, buckshot, or his "slugs" with equal aplomb.

This is from "The Temple Tiger and More Man-Eaters of Kumaon":
Quote:

Temple Tiger -

Some months previously I had been to Calcutta on a short visit, and one morning walked into Manton's, the gunmaker's shop. On a glass showcase near the door was a rifle. I was looking at the weapon when the manager, who was an old friend of mine, came up. He informed me that the rifle was a .275 by Westley Richards, was a new model which the makers were anxious to introduce on the Indian market for hill shooting. The rifle was a beauty and the manager had little difficulty in persuading me to buy it on the understanding that if it did not suit me I would be at liberty to return it. So when I set out with my village friend that evening to shoot his jarao with horns as big as the branches of an oak tree, I was carrying my brand-new rifle.

[Then he encounters villager's who sighted a tiger and then he located a kill and pug marks]

Rejoining the two men at the hut I told them I was going back to the Rest House for my heavy rifle, a double-barrelled .500 express using modified cordite. My guide very sportingly offered to save me this trouble, so after instructing him I sat down with the villager at the door of his hut and listened to the tales he had to tell of a poor but undaunted man's fight against nature and wild animals, to keep a grass roof above his head. ....

Singh — one of the best men who ever stepped out of Garhwal, and of whose tragic death some years later I have already told of — was carrying a lantern. On reaching me Bala Singh said he had not brought my heavy rifle because the cartridges for it were locked up in my suitcase and I had forgotten to send the key. Well, the tiger would have to be shot with my new rifle, and it could not have a better christening....

I was gripping the rifle and straining my eyes on the ground under me when the tiger, who had avoided passing under my tree, arrived at his kill and was angry at what he found....

And now, when I looked down, there was the tiger standing below me, in brilliant moonlight, looking over his right shoulder at Bala Singh. The distance between the muzzle of my rifle and the tiger's head was about five feet, and the thought flashed through my mind that the cordite would probably singe his hair. The ivory foresight of my rifle was on the exact spot of the tiger's heart — where I knew my bullet would kill him instantaneously — when I gently pressed the trigger. The trigger gave under the pressure, and nothing happened.

Heavens! How incredibly careless I had been. I distinctly remembered having put a clip of five cartridges in the magazine when I took my seat on the tree, but quite evidently when I pushed the bolt home it had failed to convey a cartridge from the magazine into the chamber, and this I had omitted to observe. Had the rifle been old and worn it might still have been possible to rectify my mistake. But the rifle was new and as I raised the lever to draw back the bolt there was a loud metallic click, and in one bound the tiger was up the bank and out of sight. Turning my head to see how Bala Singh had reacted, I saw him step back into the hut and close the door.

There was now no longer any need for silence and as Bala Singh came up at my call, to help me off the tree, I drew back the bolt of the rifle with the object of unloading the magazine and, as I did so, I noticed that the extractor at the end of the bolt held a cartridge. So the rifle had been loaded after all and the safety-catch off. Why then had the rifle not fired when I pulled the trigger? Too late, I knew the reason. One of the recommendations stressed by Manton's manager when showing me the rifle was that it had a double pull off. Never having handled a rifle with this so-called improvement, I did not know it was necessary, after the initial pull had taken up the slack, to pull the trigger a second time to release the striker. When I explained the reason for my failure to Bala Singh, he blamed himself, 'for', said he, 'if I had brought your heavy rifle and the suitcase this would not have happened'. I was inclined to agree with him at the time, but as the days went by I was not so sure that even with the heavy rifle I would have been able to
kill the tiger that evening.

Quote:

The Panar Man-Eater -

Within a few minutes I collected all the things I needed — a spare rifle and a shotgun, cartridges, rope, and a length of fishing-line — and set off up the steep hill accompanied by the villager and two of my men. It was a sultry day, and though the distance was not great — three miles at the most — the climb of four thousand feet in the hot sun was very trying and I arrived at the village in a bath of sweat....

I procured two stout eight-foot bamboos from the village and drove them into the ground close to the perpendicular bank that divided the field where the body was laying from the field below. To these bamboos I fixed my spare rifle and shotgun securely, tied lengths of dressed silk fishing-line to the triggers, looped the lines back over the trigger-guards, and fastened them to two stakes driven into the hillside on the far side of, and a little above, the path. If the leopard came along the path he had used the previous night there was a reasonable chance of his pulling on lines and shooting himself; on the other hand, if he avoided them, or come by any other way, and I fired at him while he was on the kill, he would be almost certain to run into the trap which lay on his most natural line of retreat.

[He is unsuccessful and tries again another night with a goat as bait]

The moon was in her third quarter and there would be several hours of darkness. In anticipation of the leopard's coming when light conditions were not favourable, I had armed myself with a twelve-bore double-barrelled shot gun loaded with slugs, for there was a better chance of my hitting the leopard with eight slugs than with a single rifle bullet. Aids to night shooting, in the way of electric lights and torches, were not used in India at the time I am writing about, and all that one had to rely on for accuracy of aim was a strip of white cloth tied round the muzzle
of the weapon.

Again nothing happened for many minutes, and then I felt a gentle pull on the blackthorn shoots I was holding and blessed my forethought in having had the shoots tied to the leaning tree, for I could not turn round to defend myself and at best the collar of my coat and my hat were poor protection. No question now that I was dealing with a man-eater, and a very determined man-eater
at that. Finding that he could not climb over the thorns, the leopard, after his initial pull, had now got the butt ends of the shoots between his teeth and was jerking them violently, pulling me hard against the trunk of the tree. And now the last of the daylight faded out of the sky and the leopard, who did all his human killing in the dark, was in his element and I was out of mine, for in the dark a human being is the most helpless of all animals and — speaking for myself — his courage is at its lowest ebb. Having killed four hundred human brings at night, the leopard was quite unafraid of me, as was evident from the fact that while tugging at the shoots, he was growling loud enough to be heard by the men anxiously listening in the village. While this growling terrified the men, as they told me later, it had the opposite effect on me, for it let me know where the leopard was and what he was doing. It was when he was silent that I was most terrified, for I did not know what his next move would be. Several times he had nearly unseated me by pulling on the shoots vigorously and then suddenly letting them go, and now that it was dark and I had nothing stable to hold on to, I felt sure that if he sprang up he would only need to touch me to send me crashing to the ground.

Alter one of these nerve-racking periods of silence the leopard jumped down off the high bank and dashed towards the goat. In the hope that the leopard would come while there was still sufficient light to shoot by, I had tied the goat thirty yards from the tree to give me time to kill the leopard before it got to the goat. But now, in the dark, I could not save the goat — which,
being white, I could only just see as an indistinct blur — so I waited until it had stopped struggling and then aimed where I thought the leopard would be and pressed the trigger. My shot
was greeted with an angry grunt and I saw a white flash as the leopard went over backwards, and disappeared down another high bank into the field beyond.

For ten or fifteen minutes I listened anxiously for further sounds from the leopard, and then my men called out and asked if they should come to me. It was now quite safe for them to do
so, provided they kept to the high ground.......

[He gets down and decides he will look for the leopard the following morning. The villagers insist that he at least look for a blood trail so, after a smoke break, they follow-up the leopard]

Thirty yards to the goat, and another twenty yards to the edge of the field. Very slowly, and in silence, we moved forward. When we reached the goat — no time now to look for a blood trail — - the farther end of the lower field came into view. The nearer we approached the edge, the more of this field became visible, and then, when only a narrow strip remained in shadow from the torches, the leopard, with a succession of angry grunts, sprang up the bank and into full view.....

There is something very terrifying in the angry grunt of a charging leopard, and I have seen a line of elephants that were staunch to tiger turn and stampede from a charging leopard; so I was not surprised when my companions, all of whom were unarmed, turned as one man and bolted. Fortunately for me, in their anxiety to get away they collided with each other and some of the burning splinters of pine — held loosely in their hands — fell to the ground and continued to flicker, giving me sufficient light to put a charge of slugs into the leopard's chest.

--------------------
~

Post Extras Print Post   Remind Me!     Notify Moderator

Entire topic
Subject Posted by Posted on
* J Corbett, Man Eaters of Kumaon ozhunter 03/06/08 05:42 PM
. * * Re: J Corbett, Man Eaters of Kumaon gryphon   04/06/08 02:57 AM
. * * Re: J Corbett, Man Eaters of Kumaon Landy   04/06/08 09:28 AM
. * * Re: J Corbett, Man Eaters of Kumaon Paul   04/06/08 02:23 PM
. * * Re: J Corbett, Man Eaters of Kumaon ozhunter   04/06/08 07:33 PM
. * * Re: J Corbett, Man Eaters of Kumaon Nakihunter   05/06/08 10:03 AM
. * * Re: J Corbett, Man Eaters of Kumaon Farhan   05/06/08 03:35 PM
. * * Re: J Corbett, Man Eaters of Kumaon FrankFarmer   21/01/13 04:54 AM
. * * Re: J Corbett, Man Eaters of Kumaon Grenadier   21/01/13 06:28 AM
. * * Re: J Corbett, Man Eaters of Kumaon gryphon   21/01/13 06:43 AM
. * * Re: J Corbett, Man Eaters of Kumaon eagle27   21/01/13 04:32 PM
. * * Re: J Corbett, Man Eaters of Kumaon Don   22/01/13 06:58 AM
. * * Re: J Corbett, Man Eaters of Kumaon Altamaha   22/01/13 11:55 AM
. * * Re: J Corbett, Man Eaters of Kumaon Don   22/01/13 12:50 PM
. * * Re: J Corbett, Man Eaters of Kumaon gryphon   22/01/13 01:37 PM
. * * Re: J Corbett, Man Eaters of Kumaon mckinney   06/02/13 04:41 AM
. * * Re: J Corbett, Man Eaters of Kumaon NitroXAdministrator   15/07/14 10:38 PM
. * * Re: J Corbett, Man Eaters of Kumaon NitroXAdministrator   05/06/08 04:43 PM
. * * Re: J Corbett, Man Eaters of Kumaon Altamaha   20/01/13 05:26 AM
. * * Re: J Corbett, Man Eaters of Kumaon Rule303   20/01/13 02:27 PM
. * * Re: J Corbett, Man Eaters of Kumaon Even   20/01/13 03:12 PM
. * * Re: J Corbett, Man Eaters of Kumaon ozhunter   20/01/13 09:28 PM
. * * Re: J Corbett, Man Eaters of Kumaon gryphon   20/01/13 03:11 PM

Extra information
0 registered and 0 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:   

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Thread views: 8800

Rate this thread

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com