Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: More of Mike's excellent safari photos

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Hunting >> Hunting in Africa & hunting dangerous game

mikeh416Rigby
.450 member

Reged: 24/02/03
Loc: The beautiful Oley Valley, PA....
Re: More of Mike's excellent safari photos
      19/03/03 02:32 AM

This Springbok was the first animal I took on my first Safari. I learned a very valuable lesson about bullet selection. I was shooting a custom Remington 700 in 300 Weatherby Magnum, with Remington 180 grain Core-lokts. The range was @100 yards, and I was shooting from a prone position. The Springbok was nearly broadside, so I held on the near shoulder. The ram went down immediately, but when we examined the animal, we found that the bullet didn't exit, and in fact, blew up inside the chest cavity. That scared the bejeepers out of me, because I still wanted to take a Kudu, Gemsbuck, and Mt. Zebra. Fortunately, my hunting buddy was shooting the same caliber, and had 180 Barnse X handloads that he shared with me. They shot through everything. I always use premium bullets now. When you factor in the cost of everything involved in a Safari, bullets are the single, least expensive item.

Post Extras Print Post   Remind Me!     Notify Moderator

Entire topic
Subject Posted by Posted on
* More of Mike's excellent safari photos Photos 18/03/03 03:33 PM
. * * Re: More of Mike's excellent safari photos mikeh416Rigby   19/03/03 02:43 AM
. * * Re: More of Mike's excellent safari photos mikeh416Rigby   19/03/03 02:32 AM

Extra information
0 registered and 362 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:   

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Thread views: 2404

Rate this thread

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com