Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: patch shape

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Shooting & Reloading - Mausers, Big Bores and others >> Muzzleloaders & Blackpowder

DarylSModerator
.700 member

Reged: 10/08/05
Loc: Beautiful British Columbia, Ca...
Re: patch shape
      19/12/11 01:55 PM

Please don't use maxiballs on elk or moose when they are fired from a rifle with a 48" twist. That twist is too slow for those bullets to maintain stability after they impact the animal. They do not travel in a straight line, but turn and course through the soft parts of the body, bouncing off the bones and even turning more than 180 degrees at times.

Also - due to the huge lube grooves, the bullet collapses instead of expanding, thus it does exactly opposite to what it should do, to kill. It makes a very neat, barely bleeding wound in moose.

Patches wet with water based lubes are not very good for hunting where the rifle will be loaded for an extended period of time.

Several of the new local guys here tried it and my brother ended up re-barreling their rifles due to rust rings where the patch sat in the bore while loaded. They had my brother re-barrel their rifles due to now fouling badly and loss of accuracy. That's over $200.00 just for the blank, no drawfiling, no browning or bluing, no sights no barrel wedge escutchions or pin escutchions.

As to cleaning and needing to wipe.

Here's a short video of me shooting my .45 rifle after a day on the trail. I've fired over 50 shots - no wiping and cannot understand why someone would use a load that didn't clean the bore as you loaded it the next time, ie: every shot you take is cleaned as you load the next one. There is no fouling buildup - ever. 1 shot, 5 shots, 50 shots, or 100shots - there no buildup in the bore as it is virtually cleaned every time you load it. The only fouling in the bore is from the last shot, which is easily wiped by the lubed patch as it's loaded. Fouling does build up in the breech, as that area is not wiped. After a day's shooting, I removed the barrel, set it's breech in a cantainer of water and with 2 thicknesses of flannelette on a jag, pump water into the bore from the bucket up to the top of the muzzle, then push hard flushing that out the vent, repeating about 10 or 20 times until I decide it's clean. It is. I use cold tap water only. No soap (most all soaps contain corrosives) - no solvents - they are not needed and a waste of money. Water is all that is needed and it's free.
I then dry the bore- usually takes 4 or 5 patches (doubled), the last one sticking due to the bore being dry. I then spray a LOT of WD40 down the tube so it runs out the vent- then I double a patch and patch that out, blasting excess WD40 out the vent (or nipple seat).

Here's a short video of two of us shooting 'for the video'. The reason I am showing it, is to show that even though I've already fired off at least 50 shots, the barrel still is easy to load. No buildup of fouling.

I've already got a ball sitting on a patch at the muzzle. My short starter has a little nub for putting the ball just into the bore. The shaft of the starter is used to put it down about 6". That makes it easier on the rod as I choke up on it also, and shove the ball down in several pushes. As you can see, it doesn't take me long to load, prime and shoot.

--------------------
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a Spaniel without ears" King George V

Edited by CptCurl (19/03/12 10:51 AM)

Post Extras Print Post   Remind Me!     Notify Moderator

Entire topic
Subject Posted by Posted on
* patch shape TomN 27/11/11 03:34 AM
. * * Re: patch shape tinker   27/11/11 04:20 AM
. * * Re: patch shape TomN   27/11/11 08:21 AM
. * * Re: patch shape TomN   28/11/11 05:12 AM
. * * Re: patch shape DarylSModerator   28/11/11 05:40 AM
. * * Re: patch shape tinker   28/11/11 07:00 AM
. * * Re: patch shape TomN   28/11/11 10:52 AM
. * * Re: patch shape DarylSModerator   28/11/11 11:48 AM
. * * Re: patch shape TomN   28/11/11 03:41 PM
. * * Re: patch shape TomN   29/11/11 12:49 PM
. * * Re: patch shape ChrisPer   18/12/11 11:46 PM
. * * Re: patch shape TomN   19/12/11 04:50 AM
. * * Re: patch shape DarylSModerator   19/12/11 01:55 PM
. * * Re: patch shape TomN   19/12/11 03:07 PM
. * * Re: patch shape DarylSModerator   19/12/11 03:36 PM
. * * Re: patch shape MikeRowe   22/12/11 01:35 PM
. * * Re: patch shape DarylSModerator   23/12/11 05:24 AM
. * * Re: patch shape DarylSModerator   27/11/11 08:18 AM
. * * Re: patch shape Tatume   27/11/11 04:19 AM

Extra information
0 registered and 13 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  DarylS 

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Thread views: 4659

Rate this thread

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com