Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Synthetic Stocks

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Shooting & Reloading - Mausers, Big Bores and others >> Big Bore Rifles

Martin
.224 member

Reged: 15/09/04
Loc: British
Synthetic Stocks
      18/09/04 11:42 PM

Help a Brit?

I am about to take advantage of the more upbeat and "modern" rifle culture, and commission a new custom rifle to be bult in the U.S. The calibre is not finally decided but will probably be H & H .400 - although everyone now seems to be going mad about the .404. I should like to use a synthetic stock but have no experience of these.

My concern is that I shall have to fit the stock, rather than the stock being made to fit me. I do not wish to scope this rifle so need a stock which will work well with express sights on a quater rib - sufficent drop, cast, etc. - but I shall have to order the stock "blind".

I understand that the Brown's Precision Pro Hunter stock is designed for iron sights but I do not like the look of the style. McMillan seem to offer stocks that appear to be more like the "English" traditional design, similar to the Winchester Safari, but I understand they work best with a highish ramp rather than an elegant quater rib which may be too low. (Don't like high quater ribs). The action will likely be ccfHEIN, so anything that will fit an M70 action will be fine.

Does anyone know of a synthetic stock with enough drop to work perfectly with a quater rib, or has anyone made the transition on an iron sighted big bore, from a properly fitted custom wooden stock to a synthetic one? Did it work out fine? Any good suggestions or comments would be very much appriciated.

Martin

Edited by Martin (19/09/04 09:24 PM)

Post Extras Print Post   Remind Me!     Notify Moderator

Entire topic
Subject Posted by Posted on
* Synthetic Stocks Martin 18/09/04 11:42 PM
. * * Re: Synthetic Stocks WyoJoe   21/09/04 05:37 PM
. * * Re: Synthetic Stocks 450Dakota   21/09/04 11:11 AM
. * * Re: Synthetic Stocks EricD   21/09/04 05:00 PM

Extra information
0 registered and 376 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:   

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Thread views: 1641

Rate this thread

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com