Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Trip to Victoria

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Hunting >> Hunting in Australia, NZ & the South Pacific

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Reged: 25/12/02
Loc: Barossa Valley, South Australi...
Re: Trip to Victoria
      22/06/11 09:38 PM

The next morning did not seem too foggy so we set off for the planned area some drive away.

This area had a road on a ridge. We would walk down into the valley, hunt along it and when hitting a fenceline, walk back up to the track and back to the vehicle.

I found going down the slope somewhat difficult as not used to mountain hunts, slipping and sliding a bit in the dark and not wanting to twist an ankle or worse. Logs in the ferns or undergrowth are always fun, and better to feel for, than fall over.

Down towards the valley bottom, JG informed me, he would head down to the bottom, and push through it, while I shoudl stay higher on the slope, look for flushed deer and deer on the opposite slope.

I lost sight of JG at one point, and realised some of the undergrowth on the valley bottom was taller than it looked, so after what seemed the right amount of time started hunting along the slope. Spotted JG after a while down on the bottom on the other side of the creek bottom.

Looking up the slope from the wallow.

Various gullies to cross, of various difficulties, spotted some very fresh tracks in one of the hardest to get through, not deer spotted. As usual skippies bounded off in the bush, potentially scaring anything in front away. Sometimes stalked to within a few metres of the skippies. Too many of them.

Spotted JG sitting in the valley but a thick stand of brambles were in between so decided to have a drink break on the slope while he had breakfast where he was.

Further along we joined up and he indicated a wallow. Had a look at it and took some pictures.

Started up the walk back up the slope, keeping an eye out for sambar that might be higher up the gullies. Damn I need to walk in hilly areas more. I can walk all day on flatter land but slopes always kill me. I want to hunt in Vic somewhere again next year, but need to do some work first. Maybe a third down from the top, JG wondered what something was, said it looked a bit like fur or hide. Using the binoculars, yes it could be, but not sure. JG decided to walk along the slope, I decided to head up to the track.

JG may have been right, or at least several gullies over, spotted a hind and managed to shoot it for meat. Then set off towards the vehicle. We had agreed to mark where we came out on the road, and I found his mark. Later meeting up we headed back in the Hilux to recover his deer.

JG headed off in front of me, I fiddled with something, I forget, then headed down, and spotted JG in the gully bottom. He was still looking for the deer, but by lucky chance it was right in front of me, slightly down the slope.

The hind wdged uder a log from where it was shot. JG moves up from below in the gully. The hind was shot from the opposite slope.

The hind was pregnant, and the feotus quite well developed.

Cut up, back in the vehicle we headed home.

That afternoon we sat in another spot overlooking a wallow where JG believes a big boy frequents. The agreement was he had rights to the big boy if it came out, but I was to shoot anything else which might appear. The dog along indicated he could smell or hear something at times. I think I heard an antler once hit a rub tree, but by dark we had seen nothing.

Nevertheless a successful couple of days. A couple of deer spotted by me. A hind for meat taken by JG.

JG was off somewhere the next day, but offered to let me stay. I decided I would head up in the Myrtleford direction and visit some places I wanted to see on the way.

Thanks to Gryphon for the invitation and also on the information I learned while hunting with him. I last hunted sambar deer in 1986 so twenty five years ago, with a friend from SA, both complete newchums. We hunted the Big River area, and I think I spotted the rear half of a sambar running though thick bush. I set myself a target of a hunt every year ... So it was good to finally have a go again and hunt with an experienced sambar hunter. JG was a very hospitable host and again thanks for the opportunity.

Hopefully one day again!

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Govt get out of our lives NOW!
"I love the smell of cordite in the morning."
"A Sharp spear needs no polish"

Post Extras Print Post   Remind Me!     Notify Moderator

Entire topic
Subject Posted by Posted on
* Trip to Victoria NitroXAdministrator 22/06/11 08:24 PM
. * * Re: Trip to Victoria NitroXAdministrator   22/06/11 09:08 PM
. * * Re: Trip to Victoria NitroXAdministrator   22/06/11 09:38 PM
. * * Re: Trip to Victoria NitroXAdministrator   22/06/11 09:52 PM
. * * Re: Trip to Victoria kamilaroi   22/06/11 10:17 PM
. * * Re: Trip to Victoria DarylS   23/06/11 12:09 AM
. * * Re: Trip to Victoria NitroXAdministrator   23/06/11 12:17 AM
. * * Re: Trip to Victoria NitroXAdministrator   23/06/11 12:30 AM
. * * Re: Trip to Victoria Ben   23/06/11 07:24 AM
. * * Re: Trip to Victoria gryphon   23/06/11 08:19 AM
. * * Re: Trip to Victoria 500Nitro   23/06/11 08:44 AM
. * * Re: Trip to Victoria Rono   23/06/11 09:27 AM
. * * Re: Trip to Victoria blacks   23/06/11 01:08 PM
. * * Re: Trip to Victoria TOP_PREDATOR   23/06/11 06:24 PM
. * * Re: Trip to Victoria FATBOY404   23/06/11 06:28 PM
. * * Re: Trip to Victoria NitroXAdministrator   24/06/11 04:54 PM
. * * Re: Trip to Victoria NitroXAdministrator   24/06/11 05:00 PM
. * * Re: Trip to Victoria kamilaroi   24/06/11 05:05 PM
. * * Re: Trip to Victoria NitroXAdministrator   24/06/11 07:45 PM
. * * Re: Trip to Victoria GK   24/06/11 09:20 PM
. * * Re: Trip to Victoria kamilaroi   24/06/11 09:57 PM
. * * Re: Trip to Victoria blacks   25/06/11 12:12 AM
. * * Re: Trip to Victoria NitroXAdministrator   24/06/11 07:34 PM

Extra information
0 registered and 18 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:   

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Thread views: 10737

Rate this thread

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com