Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Slow Food

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Miscellaneous Topics >> Recipes, food, wine & beverages

DPhillips
.375 member

Reged: 09/10/03
Loc: Alaska
Re: Slow Food
      24/07/04 08:24 AM

In reply to:

MAGGIE BEER, FOOD PRODUCER & EXPORTER: We have to hold on to what we have, and therefore everything we can do to celebrate the ethos of the valley and of slow food is to encourage those that haven't been brought up in it to know more about it.

Nitro,
Do you find it strange that Maggie is crying to hold on to what the valley offers, yet is a Food and Produce EXPORTER?

That just strikes me as odd.

One other thing. I understand the quest to slow down and enjoy life. Take time out of your day for family and friends and large gatherings while preparing and feasting on the fruits of the earth. But... can most people today that are employed (other than self-employed or work out of their home), go to work, pick the kids up, make sure homework is done, fix dinner, wash clothes, water the garden, cut the grass, pay the bills, etc... and still enjoy this "slow food" lifestyle?

I truly can understand it's appeal. If both parents aren't working or the kids are not involved in more than one or two extracurricular activities, it might be possible. But it does sound to me like these are some of the baby boomer generation that have fell out of the rat race and trying a more bohemian lifestyle. Not everyone can do that, nor is there enough land for all to try.

Sounds a bit pseudo-hippychic-yuppy-elitest to me.

No offense intended. I just imagine someone that starts preparing dinner and loafing with friends around 4 in the afternoon and is engaged in the dinner and conversation till late in the evening. While that is pleasant sounding, I don't believe it is realistic for any but a small group of people.

While I was growing up, this was pretty much standard for any of the farming regions in many countries. But with today's economies and both spouses working away from the home, children in school and involved in sports or what have you, time to slow down usually doesn't happen until the weekends, if then.

My wife and I usually prepare dinner together. We will have the grill going for the entree and a couple of eyes on the stove going for side dishes. We do usually have drink before or during dinner and take time to really catch up on each other's day. It's kind of hard to vegetable garden where we live in Alaska (or little plot doesn't have good soil or good exposure). The food we buy, usually isn't locally grown, except when in season (which isn't that long).

The slower lifestyle is a romantic notion, but quite unrealistic for the majority of the population.

Post Extras Print Post   Remind Me!     Notify Moderator

Entire topic
Subject Posted by Posted on
* Slow Food NitroXAdministrator 08/03/04 10:19 AM
. * * Re: Slow Food DPhillips   16/07/04 10:07 AM
. * * Re: Slow Food NitroXAdministrator   16/07/04 02:02 PM
. * * Re: Slow Food DPhillips   16/07/04 02:40 PM
. * * Re: Slow Food NitroXAdministrator   16/07/04 02:47 PM
. * * Re: Slow Food NitroXAdministrator   21/07/04 10:08 PM
. * * Re: Slow Food DPhillips   24/07/04 08:24 AM
. * * Re: Slow Food NitroXAdministrator   25/07/04 09:34 PM
. * * Re: Slow Food DPhillips   26/07/04 05:21 AM
. * * Re: Slow Food NitroXAdministrator   21/07/04 10:14 PM
. * * Re: Slow Food NitroXAdministrator   21/07/04 10:16 PM
. * * Re: Slow Food NitroXAdministrator   21/07/04 10:25 PM

Extra information
0 registered and 9 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  NitroX 

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Thread views: 2669

Rate this thread

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com