Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Max Meffert 9.3x62 Mauser Action

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Shooting & Reloading - Mausers, Big Bores and others >> Mauser Discussion Forum

ellenbr
.300 member

Reged: 25/08/07
Loc: North Alabama
Re: Max Meffert 9.3x62 Mauser Action
      04/10/10 12:13 PM

Axel:
As always thanks for taking the time and going the extra mile to research in an attempt to get to the bottom of things. I can understand how the stamp of SUHL over a pick and ore tub in the shape of a sole within a shield just may be the mark of a wholesaler, or someone similar, and for a time I'd capitulate until the preponderance of evidence tilts the scales overwhelmingly in favour of it being a mark noting payment as well as liability.

Regarding Heinrich August Lindner, who may have played a very small part in post WWI Charles Daly longarms seeing on March 28th, 1918 that the firm Heinrich August Lindner in the stroke of a pen was erased from the registry, he was a custom gunmaker who had an every watchful eye for quality much like Heinrich Scherping of Hannover, O. Geyger of Berlin, W. Foerster of Berlin, Johann Kalezky of Vienna, Frantisek Faukner of Prague, Josef Kirner of Budapest, Gustav Fükert of Weipert, etc. just to name a few. His son Ernst fell in fierce fighting against the Brits at the start of WWI and this ended the Lindner gunmaking line. I believe every example that left his shop passed under the scrunity of his personal quality control. The translated term backpack gunmaker is somewhat demeaning and I think other Suhl makers not involved in the production of his wares to the U.S. of A. were quite envious. H.A. Lindner worked closely with Charles Daly and offered him what the Brits would not. Charles Daly traveled to England to contract with makers to produce a longarm to Daly's specs, which was very pleasing to the sportsmen in the U.S. of A. The Brits pretty much refused and Daly then turned to Suhl, probably at the suggestion of A. Schoverling who was born in Germany. Georg Lindner was found there and an association was formed that would last some 45 years. True H.A. Lindner, son of Georg Lindner, couldn't have produced all those upper rung examples; therefore, he sourced the likes of Emil Eckoldt, Robert Schlegelmilch, Albert Stobbe, Schilling & Triebel, who was probably an uncle, and others. Sauer Charles Daly examples exist with Heinrich A. Lindner's stamp on the flats and I feel confident that in time an upper rung Sauer example with H. A. Lindner's stamp will surface in Germany. There seems to have been a strong relationship between Sauer & H.A. Lindner and pre WWI I wouldn't be surprised if there wasn't a custom area/shop at the Sauer facility where H.A. Lindner himself from time to time was the quality control for Sauer's top shelf offerings. Heinrich August Lindner claimed to have a storefront in a very posh area of Berlin, which was under the helm of a Paul Helbig of Wilhelmstraße 53 as adverts from the period give: Niederlage und Vertretung für Berlin bei Herrn P. Helbig . True his speciality was Daly longarms as per the phrase "Specialität: Daly Guns zum Export für Nord-Amerika" but he did sale longarms to the Germany speaking market as at least 2 and possible 3 H.A. Lindners have surfaced with "Diamant Qualität" on the top rib and those would not have been for the American market, whose stamp would have been Diamond Quality.

If I'm not mistaken one of the 3 had H.A. Lindner's signature on the top rib. Interesting stamps surface from time to time with Saxony on the tubes being one of a couple that have surfaced.

Lindner's mark of crown over crossed pistols.

Post WWI, I believe that Gebrüder Adamy was sourced for the Charles Daly examples.

Kind Regards,

Raimey
rse

Post Extras Print Post   Remind Me!     Notify Moderator

Entire topic
Subject Posted by Posted on
* Max Meffert 9.3x62 Mauser Action chapmen 26/09/10 09:09 PM
. * * Re: Max Meffert 9.3x62 Mauser Action mehulkamdar   30/09/10 07:17 AM
. * * Re: Max Meffert 9.3x62 Mauser Action 500grains   30/09/10 12:21 PM
. * * Re: Max Meffert 9.3x62 Mauser Action ellenbr   01/10/10 05:21 AM
. * * Re: Max Meffert 9.3x62 Mauser Action kuduae   01/10/10 06:34 AM
. * * Re: Max Meffert 9.3x62 Mauser Action chapmen   02/10/10 04:55 AM
. * * Re: Max Meffert 9.3x62 Mauser Action ellenbr   03/10/10 01:02 AM
. * * Re: Max Meffert 9.3x62 Mauser Action kuduae   03/10/10 01:57 AM
. * * Re: Max Meffert 9.3x62 Mauser Action ellenbr   03/10/10 04:49 AM
. * * Re: Max Meffert 9.3x62 Mauser Action ellenbr   03/10/10 08:39 AM
. * * Re: Max Meffert 9.3x62 Mauser Action ellenbr   03/10/10 01:44 PM
. * * Re: Max Meffert 9.3x62 Mauser Action kuduae   03/10/10 10:16 PM
. * * Re: Max Meffert 9.3x62 Mauser Action ellenbr   04/10/10 12:13 PM
. * * Re: Max Meffert 9.3x62 Mauser Action ellenbr   05/10/10 02:37 AM

Extra information
0 registered and 61 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  NitroX 

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Thread views: 15034

Rate this thread

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com