Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: winchester safari express vs Ruger ExpressvsDakota

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Shooting & Reloading - Mausers, Big Bores and others >> Big Bore Rifles

DrJon
.224 member

Reged: 18/07/04
Re: winchester safari express vs Ruger ExpressvsDakota
      18/07/04 08:34 AM

Eric,
I was glad to read about the success you have had with your two Winchester rifles. I recently purchased a Winchester 70 Safari Express in 375 H&H Mag, but have not even fired it yet. Sadly, I discovered that the last round in the magazine does not feed reliably; it tends to pop out of the magazine as the round before it is ejected. Upon closer inspection, it seems that the follower is not providing enough support to the left side of the cartridge, so instead of being wedged up against and under the right side feed rail it is allowed to slip past and pop free of the magazine. I confirmed this by building up the deficient area of the follower with bits of scotch tape, and sure enough, the last round stays put in the magazine. Earlier, I had returned the gun to Gander Mountain to have their gunsmith work on the rifle (under warrantee), but he determined that it was the magazine spring, not the follower that was the problem, and that it would be several weeks before he could get a new, higher power spring to replace it. I obviously disagree with his theory. I kept possession of the rifle until the part comes in, figuring that it was still usable at the range as-is and that I could fiddle with it to see if I could right the problem myself (not to mention not wanting to take the chance of the rifle being damaged while in the shop).

How is the feed on your rifles? Do the last rounds stay put in their magazines? Winchester did send me a replacement follower, but it had the same problem as the original (and I double checked the part number with the parts diagram to make sure they gave me the right thing). I have a theory that Winchester might have received a batch of slightly out of spec followers, and that is what is causing my problem. Any advice or information you, or others on the forum, could give me would be most helpful. Thanks,

-Jon

Post Extras Print Post   Remind Me!     Notify Moderator

Entire topic
Subject Posted by Posted on
* winchester safari express vs Ruger ExpressvsDakota blackbearhunter 15/07/04 12:35 AM
. * * Re: winchester safari express vs Ruger ExpressvsDakota wombat   25/08/04 08:26 PM
. * * Re: winchester safari express vs Ruger ExpressvsDakota atkinson6   28/08/04 06:40 AM
. * * Re: winchester safari express vs Ruger ExpressvsDakota 510Wells   28/08/04 08:31 AM
. * * Re: winchester safari express vs Ruger ExpressvsDakota atkinson6   31/08/04 07:33 AM
. * * Re: winchester safari express vs Ruger ExpressvsDakota 500NE   04/08/04 03:51 AM
. * * Re: winchester safari express vs Ruger ExpressvsDakota blackbearhunter   05/08/04 07:36 AM
. * * Re: winchester safari express vs Ruger ExpressvsDa 510Wells   23/07/04 01:50 PM
. * * Re: winchester safari express vs Ruger ExpressvsDa DrJon   25/07/04 09:21 AM
. * * Re: winchester safari express vs Ruger ExpressvsDa 510Wells   25/07/04 12:48 PM
. * * Re: winchester safari express vs Ruger ExpressvsDa DrJon   29/07/04 11:29 AM
. * * Re: winchester safari express vs Ruger ExpressvsDa Eric   30/07/04 02:24 AM
. * * Re: winchester safari express vs Ruger ExpressvsDa DrJon   03/08/04 09:10 AM
. * * Re: winchester safari express vs Ruger ExpressvsDa Eric   05/08/04 05:04 AM
. * * Re: winchester safari express vs Ruger ExpressvsDa DrJon   05/08/04 08:33 AM
. * * Re: winchester safari express vs Ruger ExpressvsDakota Eric   15/07/04 05:00 AM
. * * Re: winchester safari express vs Ruger ExpressvsDakota DrJon   18/07/04 08:34 AM
. * * Re: winchester safari express vs Ruger ExpressvsDakota luv2safari   19/07/04 08:46 AM
. * * Re: winchester safari express vs Ruger ExpressvsDakota GeorgeS   15/07/04 02:42 AM
. * * Re: winchester safari express vs Ruger ExpressvsDakota blackbearhunter   15/07/04 04:25 AM

Extra information
0 registered and 55 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:   

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Thread views: 6709

Rate this thread

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com