Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Making a Double Rifle

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Double Rifles, Single Shots & Combinations >> Building Double Rifles & Gunsmithing

JOAT
.224 member

Reged: 04/03/09
Loc: Central NC, just east of Ralei...
Re: Making a Double Rifle
      26/09/10 11:44 AM

Quote:

Assuming you have all the tools and the ability to make a double rifle. What are you looking at cost wise for parts and how many hours are tied up in the project. I would really love to try and build one, but are you better off just buying one. I would get a ton of satisfaction out of the build, but I am torn. I have just recently got the DR BUG big time and need to make a move. Please let me know your thoughts.

I've been a member for awhile now, lurking, and absorbing info.

My answer is, cost depends. One of these days I would like to make a really nice, preferably elephant capable caliber, double rifle build from a nice shotgun. Still shopping for a suitable donor, that I can actually justify spending the money for. I may have to farm part of the work out, it's all just in the dream stage now, but should still wind up well under $1,000.

In the meantime I picked up an older hammer double, for $80+. The plan on that one is to line the original barrels with a couple of .45 muzzleloading barrels I got for abour $20 each, chamber for .45 Long Colt, cut the barrels to maybe 22"-24", and viola, got me a double rifle. And, yes, I know, regulating it is going to be a bear. Oh yes, almost forgot, I'm thinking about using just blackpowder loads. So that's around $120 so far. I'll be doing all the work myself, so it won't be much more than that when finished. It'll be used for putting holes in soda cans mostly. I'd like something chambered for a larger caliber, but I know this will stand up to .45LC, so I'll stick with that.

I have a line on a better double, for around $140-$160. This I know will stand up to a large caliber, but I will just go with a .45-70 build. Lining the original barrels again. I figure cost on this should be no more than about $250, max.

I know lining barrels will add weight, but I don't hunt any more, so the only carrying around will be from the house to my vehicle, from the vehicle to the shooting place, and back again, so weight is not a big deal for me.

If I ever get to the position where I can do an elephant caliber double, then I'll do it the 'right' way. Monoblock, express sights, really nice wood for the stock, handmake the stock and forearem, fitted case, the whole nine yards. Which, now that I think more on it, will probably push the end price up a bit more than I originally figured. No prob. At least then if the squirrels around here decide to start rampaging I'll have something on hand that would easily stop them.

--------------------
Theo
--------
It ain't what you're told, it's what you know. - Granny Weatherwax

Post Extras Print Post   Remind Me!     Notify Moderator

Entire topic
Subject Posted by Posted on
* Making a Double Rifle MKETOOL 22/09/10 09:11 AM
. * * Re: Making a Double Rifle JOAT   26/09/10 11:44 AM
. * * Re: Making a Double Rifle JOAT   01/10/10 09:27 PM
. * * Re: Making a Double Rifle MKETOOL   08/10/10 02:44 AM
. * * Re: Making a Double Rifle szihn   08/10/10 06:15 AM
. * * Re: Making a Double Rifle baileybradshaw   22/09/10 01:07 PM
. * * Re: Making a Double Rifle Ron_Vella   22/09/10 09:51 PM
. * * Re: Making a Double Rifle MKETOOL   22/09/10 11:25 PM
. * * Re: Making a Double Rifle CHAPUISARMES   23/09/10 12:19 PM
. * * Re: Making a Double Rifle NitroXAdministrator   23/09/10 02:52 PM
. * * Re: Making a Double Rifle CHAPUISARMES   23/09/10 08:03 PM
. * * Re: Making a Double Rifle touchdown88   25/09/10 10:32 AM
. * * Re: Making a Double Rifle Ron_Vella   23/09/10 10:15 AM

Extra information
0 registered and 6 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  CptCurl 

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Thread views: 2082
Calendar Event: 22/09/10

Rate this thread

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com