Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Scope for Dodd Hughes Hagn

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Miscellaneous Topics >> Sporting equipment

Grenadier
.375 member

Reged: 20/02/08
Loc: North of the Columbia, USA
Re: Scope for Dodd Hughes Hagn
      26/09/10 03:08 AM

Mike,

Last question first. Unless the Ruger No.1 you used was altered, the length of pull was probably just a tad under 13-1/2". I have been told that it is not uncommon for them to come from the factory closer to 13-1/4".

On your Holland with the short receiver, assuming you are talking about a magazine rifle, the rear scope mount can go on the rear bridge. Now look again at the photo of the Ruger above. Where would you place that rear scope mount? It is a requirement to place the rings forward that keeps the scope from being pushed back to your eye within those rings. The guy who owns the Ruger above was complaining that he couldn't push the scope any further back in the rings.

If you get someone to help you then you can do the following. Take a rifle that fits you well and take a firing position with it. Put your head and eye in a comfortable spot - you can even do it with your eyes closed. Then have your assistant measure the distance from the rear of the butt stock to the position of your eye. Add the eye relief of the scope you are considering to that. It will probably come to around 12-12.5". It will provide you with a distance from the rear of the stock to the rear of the scope. Now, you can lay your rifle down, set the scope above it, ensuring that it is the proper distance from the butt, and visualize the mount and ring requirements. You will find that many scope/ring combinations just don't work because either the scope adjustment mechanism or the bell of the scope gets in the way.

H&H recommended I use the Swarovski Z6 because they offer one version of the 1-6x24 with an eye relief of 4.72". The rifle would have looked better with that scope mounted and, if they had been building me a .375 or larger, I would have gone that way. But for a .300 that would only have the scope mounted for occasional use in very open country I chose a 10x42. Also, moving the scope forward puts the large ocular portion over the loading area and I was concerned it would make it awkward to load. I had to make compromises. I wanted a 1" scope tube and that was what my 4X used but the 10X is a 30mm. Still, it's a better alternative to the 34mm scopes in the rest of the SB PM line.

Post Extras Print Post   Remind Me!     Notify Moderator

Entire topic
Subject Posted by Posted on
* Scope for Dodd Hughes Hagn Mike_Bailey 25/09/10 09:33 PM
. * * Re: Scope for Dodd Hughes Hagn Grenadier   26/09/10 01:37 AM
. * * Re: Scope for Dodd Hughes Hagn Mike_Bailey   26/09/10 02:21 AM
. * * Re: Scope for Dodd Hughes Hagn Grenadier   26/09/10 03:08 AM
. * * Re: Scope for Dodd Hughes Hagn JabaliHunter   27/09/10 06:25 PM
. * * Re: Scope for Dodd Hughes Hagn CHAPUISARMES   25/09/10 09:37 PM

Extra information
0 registered and 6 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  NitroX 

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Thread views: 2194

Rate this thread

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com