Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Lions with AIDS?

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Hunting >> Hunting in Africa & hunting dangerous game

jhrod
.224 member

Reged: 26/06/04
Re: Lions with AIDS?
      15/07/04 08:53 AM

The discovery of an FIV vaccine was by no means quick. The virus itself was discovered/described about 15 years ago, not long after HIV. The recently licensed FIV vaccine is the result of at least 10 years of work.

In general, veterinary vaccines can be developed much quicker than human vaccines if for no other reason than veterinary vaccine candidates can, and often are, tested directly on the "patients". Vaccinate the cat, wait a few weeks for it to develop immunity if it is going to, and then administer virulent FIV to the cat and evaluate if it was protected from disease. We obviously can't and don't want to do the same type of direct testing in humans - i.e. vaccinate them with an experimental product and then intentionally give them HIV.

While HIV most assuredly did not come from FIV, and FIV most assuredly did not come from HIV, studies are in fact underway to evaluate whether a similar vaccine strategy can be used to develop a vaccine for HIV.

Who knows whether this could extirpate lions - I suspect not as there are many domestic cats that live for a long time with FIV. I think human population growth and habitat destruction is a far greater threat to lions.

Post Extras Print Post   Remind Me!     Notify Moderator

Entire topic
Subject Posted by Posted on
* Lions with AIDS? Ingwe 14/07/04 05:32 PM
. * * Re: Lions with AIDS? jhrod   15/07/04 03:02 AM
. * * Re: Lions with AIDS? Ingwe   15/07/04 05:12 AM
. * * Re: Lions with AIDS? jhrod   15/07/04 08:53 AM
. * * Re: Lions with AIDS? Ingwe   15/07/04 05:53 AM
. * * Re: Lions with AIDS? NitroXAdministrator   21/07/04 12:24 AM
. * * Re: Lions with AIDS? cr500   14/07/04 08:28 PM
. * * Re: Lions with AIDS? mikeh416Rigby   15/07/04 02:49 AM

Extra information
0 registered and 177 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:   

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Thread views: 2103

Rate this thread

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com