Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Fox and Hare Game Photos

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Hunting >> Hunting in Australia, NZ & the South Pacific

Mcleish
.275 member

Reged: 30/06/10
Loc: Southern Tablelands, NSW
Fox and Hare Game Photos
      05/08/10 01:32 PM

Hi Nitro X - I was wondering if you could put this in the appropiate place.

We are having a very dry run in terms of Camel, Donkey and Buffalo at home at the moment (no offence to Ben in the NT). I would like to have a crack at the Cape Buffalo Raffle Tickets, so I thought I would post some photos of my Hunt into the bottom rye grass paddock last night. It is an interesting story cause as I came home last night I saw a number of hares grazing out on the paddock in my headlights, which I have locked up for steers to go onto,. I must explain at this point that hares are a real problem to us at home, because they ring bark young trees that we plant, whereas most farmers probably don’t get too concerned about them. So I drove to the workshop and went to the gun safe to discover that both my 204, 222 and 17HMR were not there (they were in gun safe up at home 3 km away having recently been). Oh well I thought , this only left me a choice of a 410 shot gun, a 25-06, or my trusty old Brno Model 2 1971 - 22 Rimfire. The choice was easy! I filled two 5 shot magazines up with Winchester 40 grain Power Points for the Brno and headed off down the paddock. In my headlights 180 meters through the gate I could see a fox eating something (I found out later this was a small hard-head duck). How was I going to shoot this thing with the old Brno 22? So I turned off my lights and rolled quietly down the paddock til I thought I was about 100 yards away and turned the lights back on. To my surprise the fox was in exactly the same position, still distracted by the duck. I used the mirror of my Landcruiser to take rest and dialled up 8 power on my VX 111 2.5 – 8 and let 1.5 lbs fall off the trigger. Bang - and the foxes light were out. I then drove down the paddock to pick up the fox which had been shot through the eye – see photos (the Brno does shoot 0.5 MOA, however I was still impressed being under gunned and all). I then drove about looking for the hares, shot 6 in total, though I was only able to find 4. After shooting the last one which incidentally took two shots, and unfortunately had done some squealing, I picked it up and turned through it on the ute for the dogs. As I turned the vehicle I could seed a set of eye in the lights which turned and headed for a contour bank that feed a large dam. I quickly turned off my lights and continued to drive towards it fumbling in my ash tray for a fox whistle, which I found and then turned off the ute a rolled to a stop. I blew twice into the whistle softly as I thought the fox had been attracted by the squealing hare waited 20 seconds and then turned on my lights there was the fox poking it’s head up above the contour bank, I let the shot go and the fox disappeared. I drove down to where i thought I had shot it and there it was in the water on the edge of the contour, I then dispatched it with what was the last of my bullets I had taken with down the paddock, I had only grabbed the two magazines and no spare rounds. Who’d of thought all this was going to happen, I looked at my watch and I had been home only 35 minutes from when I first saw the hares on the rye grass! This was unbelievable even for me who shoots something most days. Anyway the story a bit tongue in cheek , though entirely true, and I hope to win that ticket with my Southern Tablelands game photos. Not too bad with a 22 rimfire, on my own, and no spotlight.

Regards

McLeish

I have tried to arrange the game in the photos African Style !

--------------------
Fallow might be small, but they're tasty

Post Extras Print Post   Remind Me!     Notify Moderator

Entire topic
Subject Posted by Posted on
* Fox and Hare Game Photos Mcleish 05/08/10 01:32 PM
. * * Re: Fox and Hare Game Photos NitroXAdministrator   06/10/10 02:51 AM
. * * Re: Fox and Hare Game Photos Paatti   06/10/10 05:33 AM
. * * Re: Fox and Hare Game Photos NitroXAdministrator   03/11/10 04:46 AM
. * * Re: Fox and Hare Game Photos NitroXAdministrator   19/02/11 02:37 AM

Extra information
1 registered and 19 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:   

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Thread views: 3041

Rate this thread

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com