Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: I drank the kool-ade!

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Double Rifles, Single Shots & Combinations >> Paradox and Bore Guns

Otony
.224 member

Reged: 25/03/10
Loc: Walla Walla, WA
Re: I drank the kool-ade!
      24/05/10 09:21 AM

So a report is in order re: the Sauer and the Gunmakers Fair.

This year the turn out was quite generous, approximately 50 people or so. A very fine time was had by all and one of the topics was stock finishing, led by Steve Nelson, a member of the Custom Gunmakers Guild. Jerry Huddleston was in attendance as well, another Guild member whose specialty is engraving. He led a discussion/teaching session on engraving tools and sharpening techniques thereof. Most of the presentations were on building skills that can easily translate to either modern or vintage firearms, so the Fair should not be considered just for muzzleloader fans.

By the way, there was a fellow there whose name escapes me, but he had done an incredilbe job on restocking a Pedersoli double .72 muzzleloader. All the furniture had been reworked or replaced to such an extent that only a few faint clues gave away its origins. Pedersoli double rifles use a very distinctive step down on the barrels about 6" from the breech that would be almost impossible to mask, which is what tipped me off.

As to the Sauer, well we did manage a few changes. First of all the Germanic cheekpiece was removed quite nicely (I am left-handed after all), with no trace of it remaining. The stock had been slightly shortened in its past, and was wearing a steel buttplate that obviously did NOT come from the shop of J.P. Sauer. We were fortunate enough to still have enough length to make a clean-up cut and bring the stock to an appropriate size with the addition of a Pachmayr Old English pad. We also pulled the sling swivels as the decision was made to keep this as a full length shotgun for fowling of one sort or another. More on that below.

My friend Warren was coerced into recheckering the stock and applying a new finish. The metal is worn but clean enough to warrant going untouched. Oddly enough the original owner must have been left-handed as well, because the wear to the checkering was all on the left side of the grip.

What neither of use could bring ourselves to do was consider shortening the barrels. This is such a clean, well made example of a German shotgun that it seemed a shame to do so. The decision to leave it as is was made much easier by two things. First, I had picked up an H&R Ultra Light Slug Hunter in 20ga to "experiment" with, but mnore importantly, I just found a CZ imported Huglu coach gun that fits my needs almost perfectly. It has a Greener crossbolt and a full pistol grip, so I will simply add a recoil pad and sights. The fun of "regulating" it with round balls is just the icing on the cake!

--------------------
Otony

Post Extras Print Post   Remind Me!     Notify Moderator

Entire topic
Subject Posted by Posted on
* I drank the kool-ade! Otony 13/04/10 01:25 PM
. * * Re: I drank the kool-ade! Grenadier   14/04/10 12:32 AM
. * * Re: I drank the kool-ade! Otony   14/04/10 01:11 AM
. * * Re: I drank the kool-ade! poprivit   14/04/10 10:32 AM
. * * Re: I drank the kool-ade! Otony   14/04/10 02:30 PM
. * * Re: I drank the kool-ade! Otony   24/05/10 09:21 AM
. * * Re: I drank the kool-ade! 9dot3x74R   13/04/10 04:45 PM

Extra information
0 registered and 8 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  tinker 

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Thread views: 4626

Rate this thread

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com