Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Double rifle standing rest design

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Double Rifles, Single Shots & Combinations >> Double Rifles

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Reged: 25/12/02
Loc: Barossa Valley, South Australi...
Re: Double rifle standing rest design
      09/06/04 01:17 PM

Spring

Great ideas for rifle racks! But I think you are a little confused on the discussion. But still like the photos. I want to host a big bore / double rifle shoot hopefully annually and will need portable rifle racks. The second portable one looks particularly good.

I want to build a double rifle shooting bench or rest. So that is what the fellows here are discussing. The main problems are: big bores recoil; and doubles should not be rested on bags etc when shooting from a bench. So the idea is to shoot standing so with the body "whip" felt recoil is lessened. And doubles can be shot from bags resting on one's hands and not on the bags.

I'm thinking of building something around the following design.

1. Dig 3 or 4 posts in the ground, out of the ground enough to allow a tall person to shoot standing.

2. Cut a thick marine board "table" or bench top into a square with a large U shape in one side, large enough to allow a person to stand and/or sit comfortably in the U.

Place a wooden frame underneath it if more stability is required.

This will also allow left hand as well as right handed shooters to use it. The "arms" of the U will allow the shooter to rest their rear elbow. Similar to the photo in the "Shooting the British Double" book photo.

3. Either using holes cut through the posts, or more likely some sort of clamps, arrange for the bench top to be able to be moved up and down the posts to the correct height for the shooter. For me I will want it as a standing height for shooting doubles and big bores and as a sitting bench height for more sighting in / load development.

A better design would be to allow the "posts" to be portable rather than dug into the ground. Perhaps using aluminium posts which also allow more holes closer together to be drilled in them allowing the height to be set closer to the shooter's height.

My range has mounds for 25 metre, 50 metre, 75 metre and 100 metre ranges. There is also a very large back stop of a disused railway line mound behind the 100 metre target. I will be planting some trees and also want to set up some clay target throwers. The only problem will be if the neighbours complain about the noise!

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Govt get out of our lives NOW!
"I love the smell of cordite in the morning."
"A Sharp spear needs no polish"

Post Extras Print Post   Remind Me!     Notify Moderator

Entire topic
Subject Posted by Posted on
* Double rifle standing rest design NitroXAdministrator 30/05/04 04:28 PM
. * * Re: Double rifle standing rest design Geronimo   09/06/04 09:28 PM
. * * Re: Double rifle standing rest design Spring   09/06/04 12:24 PM
. * * Re: Double rifle standing rest design NitroXAdministrator   09/06/04 01:17 PM
. * * Re: Double rifle standing rest design 338X74R   10/06/04 10:54 PM
. * * Re: Double rifle standing rest design atkinson6   25/06/04 01:00 PM
. * * Re: Double rifle standing rest design Arctic   09/06/04 03:52 PM
. * * Re: Double rifle standing rest design 338X74R   08/06/04 06:32 PM
. * * Re: Double rifle standing rest design NitroXAdministrator   09/06/04 01:36 AM
. * * Re: Double rifle standing rest design 4seventy   09/06/04 09:15 AM
. * * Re: Double rifle standing rest design 470Rigby   30/05/04 05:21 PM
. * * Re: Double rifle standing rest design NitroXAdministrator   05/06/04 04:08 AM
. * * Re: Double rifle standing rest design 470Rigby   19/07/04 09:52 AM
. * * Re: Double rifle standing rest design NitroXAdministrator   19/07/04 01:38 PM
. * * Re: Double rifle standing rest design mickey   31/05/04 02:55 AM
. * * Re: Double rifle standing rest design Gibbs505   31/05/04 09:21 AM

Extra information
1 registered and 55 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  CptCurl 

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Thread views: 4407

Rate this thread

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com