Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Montana Action Photos and a Cheap 458 Lott

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Shooting & Reloading - Mausers, Big Bores and others >> Big Bore Rifles

Altamaha
.333 member

Reged: 29/12/08
Loc: Washington State USA
Montana Action Photos and a Cheap 458 Lott
      27/02/10 03:55 PM

Here are the photos I promised. Top three photos are left, right and top views of a pair of virgin M99 Montana actions in 4140. Both are the magnum size, 3.650” magazine length. Just right for the 404 Jeffery (shown on one of the actions), 458 Lott (on the other action) and similar length cartridges.

Note the actions are not drilled and tapped for scope bases, this was my intent, as the actions will be used for open sighted rifles, with the receiver rings left bare for engraving. The actions were purchased many years ago when they were priced at about half the current cost.

Last photo is a M99 action with a Ruger No. 1 barrel screwed in. Both the Montana and the Ruger have 1”-16 threads. Note the barrel is screwed in by hand and not seated, it will need to have the chamber end faced off to the correct dimension, and the chamber reamed to the correct depth. This barrel is chambered for the 458 Win Mag, my intent will be to chamber it with my 458 Lott reamer when I get around to this project, if ever. The cartridge on the magazine box is a 458 Lott.

So, this is a cheap way to get into a 458: Find a take off barrel from a No. 1, you can see it already has the front ramp, barrel band and a ramp installed. For those that like long eye relief scopes (I do not!) just stick the scope in a set of Ruger rings and you will have a barrel mounted scope. I will replace the cheap Ruger folding rear sight with a robust single piece rear sight and sight it in with a file. Maybe machine a new ramp with a better look than the Ruger ramp. The action and barrel weighs 8 pounds, so with a 2-1/2 to 3 pound stock the completed weight will be around 10-1/2 to 11 pounds, a nice weight for a 458 Lott.

Yep, each action has two gas vent holes on the front receiver ring, so I am having a tough time understanding the M99 blowup at Bisley unless the SS action had a flaw. Or a 308 case full of Bullseye.

Post Extras Print Post   Remind Me!     Notify Moderator

Entire topic
Subject Posted by Posted on
* Montana Action Photos and a Cheap 458 Lott Altamaha 27/02/10 03:55 PM
. * * Re: Montana Action Photos and a Cheap 458 Lott Rick_R   28/02/10 01:01 PM
. * * Re: Montana Action Photos and a Cheap 458 Lott Altamaha   28/02/10 02:19 PM
. * * Re: Montana Action Photos and a Cheap 458 Lott BigUglyMan   28/03/10 04:53 PM

Extra information
0 registered and 36 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:   

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Thread views: 3537

Rate this thread

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com