Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: THE Battery for India

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Shooting & Reloading - Mausers, Big Bores and others >> Muzzleloaders & Blackpowder

DarylSModerator
.700 member

Reged: 10/08/05
Loc: Beautiful British Columbia, Ca...
THE Battery for India
      19/02/10 04:33 AM

Thought you guys who don't have Forsyth's book might find this interesting.

1/. A double-barreled, spherical-ball rifle as herin described, 14-gauge, 26" barrels, 9 pounds weight, charge 3 ro 4 drams, ie: (82gr. to 110gr.)

2/. A double-barreled, smooth-bored gun, 14 gauge, 30" barrels, 7 1/2 lb.s or 8 lbs. weight to be used with shot or ball, charge for the latter, same as the rifle.

3/. A powerful double-barreled, spherical-balled rifle, 8 gauge, 24" barrels, 12 to 15 lbs. weight, charge 6 to 8 drams (165gr. to 220gr.)
N.B. - For this may be substituted the shell rifle as described futher on, if preferred.("shell rifle", meaning for explosive bullets as described in the text)

4/. A light double-barreled breech-loading fowling piece, to carry ball also, ont he Lefancheaux principle, with Dougall's "lockfast' improvement.

"The first 3 consitute your battery, the fourth is an addition, and will be useful in the snipe jheel or the howdah. You may have these in duplicate or triplicate if you like, but, being a poor man, I am satisfied with one each, myself." (I WISH!)

"For purely large game shooting, a pair of the heavy rifles would certainly be desirable."

When after game, you carry No.1 yourself, or if tired, No.2, and the others are carried by your gun-bearers. If you have a particularly long-legged guide, who is taking the wind out of you, weight him with No.3 and your bag of bullets; if this won't do, pretend to fasten your shoe or gaiter, and give him No. 1 to hold, forgetting to take it back again when you start!

Sounds like fun, EH!

I have heard you can download this 'book' from the net - not sure where. A search for "The Sporting Rifle And It's Projectiles" by Lt. James Jorsyth might produce that answer

--------------------
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a Spaniel without ears" King George V

Post Extras Print Post   Remind Me!     Notify Moderator

Entire topic
Subject Posted by Posted on
* THE Battery for India DarylSModerator 19/02/10 04:33 AM
. * * Re: THE Battery for India beleg2   19/02/10 05:31 AM
. * * Re: THE Battery for India Tatume   19/02/10 12:03 PM
. * * Re: THE Battery for India DarylSModerator   20/02/10 03:35 AM
. * * Re: THE Battery for India lancaster   20/02/10 05:44 AM
. * * Re: THE Battery for India DarylSModerator   26/02/10 03:58 AM

Extra information
0 registered and 11 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  DarylS 

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Thread views: 4249

Rate this thread

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com