Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: O/U actions

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Double Rifles, Single Shots & Combinations >> Building Double Rifles & Gunsmithing

baileybradshaw
.333 member

Reged: 21/06/08
Loc: Diana, TX
Re: O/U actions
      15/02/10 04:53 AM

With break open guns, the issue is keeping the barrels on face. It's as much a matter of geometry as it is mass of metal. Break open guns try to open when firing due to the push back on the breech face and the barrels wanting to flip down from the bullet travel. Barrel wall thickess is enough to keep the side expansion in check, or the gun wouldn't last but a couple of shots. The pivot point on an O/U offers an advantage as it takes some of the leverage away from the barrels wanting to flip down, especially for the bottom barrel.

That being said, the hunge points for an O/U are just studs that don't span the width of the action. The walls want to flex away from the barrels, and since they aren't usually very thick, I can only speculate that is why you don't see O/Us in the really big calibers.

Throw in a third fastener, longer action bars ( reduces leverage on the hinge pin) and more support for the hunge..... I think the nod goes to the SXS.

Actually, my opinon of what would make the ultimate action for strength...a snap action ( side lever for my taste) trigger plate lock ( the lever cocks the hammers, the lockwork behind the action body so the bars remain solid) clamshell with Bissel rising third bite. That would take some serious punishment......hmmmmm

--------------------
www.bradshawgunandrifle.com

Post Extras Print Post   Remind Me!     Notify Moderator

Entire topic
Subject Posted by Posted on
* O/U actions whitey 13/02/10 04:49 PM
. * * Re: O/U actions 4seventy   13/02/10 05:50 PM
. * * Re: O/U actions whitey   14/02/10 02:27 AM
. * * Re: O/U actions baileybradshaw   15/02/10 04:53 AM
. * * Re: O/U actions Carpetsahib   15/02/10 01:29 PM
. * * Re: O/U actions baileybradshaw   16/02/10 06:09 AM
. * * Re: O/U actions Carpetsahib   21/02/10 01:08 PM
. * * Re: O/U actions whitey   15/02/10 06:36 AM
. * * Re: O/U actions CptCurlAdministrator   15/02/10 11:17 AM
. * * Re: O/U actions doubleriflejack   27/02/10 10:01 AM
. * * Re: O/U actions whitey   15/02/10 11:58 AM

Extra information
0 registered and 10 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  CptCurl 

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Thread views: 596

Rate this thread

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com