Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: H&H Project - opinion

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Double Rifles, Single Shots & Combinations >> Double Rifles

Grenadier
.375 member

Reged: 20/02/08
Loc: North of the Columbia, USA
Re: H&H Project - opinion
      07/02/10 08:04 AM

Quote:

The action has been engraved with three capercaillie's which look to me like turkeys. The birds are engraved in a heavy relief which is beautiful, but they are damn turkeys!

A good point was made about whether or not the engraving is original. You can check with H&H. I doubt, though, if the records will show what the engraving was.

Quote:

The gun has been engraved to an individuals liking, but degraded the gun in his efforts.

Personal tastes differ but I'm with you on this.

Quote:

The gun still has the barrels in their original 375 chambering and are in good shape, no scope, all original.

That's the best part.

Quote:

Because the value has been diminished with the engraving, here is what I am pondering:

- Do I re-chamber the gun to a 375 Flanged Magnum and make it a much more useful gun, bringing any big game into play? (blasphemy!) If it was any other action, I would not consider it, but I believe this is safe. Yes it may have to be re-regulated. What would potential buyers think?? Not that I am looking to sell it.

Because the .375 Flanged case is much longer and bigger in diameter, there might be some issue with the barrel dimensions at the chamber. I don't know. What is the rate of twist on your current barrels and is that compatible with the .375 Flanged? And, surely, it will need re-regulation. That will also require removing and replacing the ribs and sights. Seems like a lot of work to me. If you must have a .375 Flanged you might as well go the extra mile and get it re-barreled and done right. However, if it was mine, I would keep it a ,375 2-1/2".

Quote:

Scope. I like, or should I say need, a scope for out to 100 yards. If I scoped it, it would be with the correct period scope and in claw mounts.

If you want it, then do it, regardless of what you do to the barrels.

Quote:

Or, do I re-line or sleeve the half done barrels with a more useful cartridge and leave the originals alone.

That's an option but it's a lot of work, especially to do properly.

Quote:

Again I have turkeys on the gun!!!

This seems to be your major objection and your re-boring and re-barreling options won't change it. I suggest you take it out and shoot it. If it shoots well enough then those "turkeys" might not bother you so much.

--------------------
~

Post Extras Print Post   Remind Me!     Notify Moderator

Entire topic
Subject Posted by Posted on
* H&H Project - opinion jaz 07/02/10 06:50 AM
. * * Re: H&H Project - opinion Grenadier   07/02/10 08:04 AM
. * * Re: H&H Project - opinion jaz   07/02/10 11:07 AM
. * * Re: H&H Project - opinion Birdhunter50   08/02/10 09:59 AM
. * * Re: H&H Project - opinion Orvar   09/02/10 05:21 PM
. * * Re: H&H Project - opinion ALAN_MCKENZIE   12/02/10 12:13 AM
. * * Re: H&H Project - opinion bonanza   12/02/10 01:47 AM
. * * Re: H&H Project - opinion jaz   12/02/10 10:52 AM
. * * Re: H&H Project - opinion AkMike   07/02/10 07:11 AM

Extra information
0 registered and 71 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  CptCurl 

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Thread views: 4679

Rate this thread

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com