Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: What should I look for when choosing an old Double

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Double Rifles, Single Shots & Combinations >> Double Rifles

470Rigby
.333 member

Reged: 23/02/04
Loc: Melbourne, Australia
Re: What should I look for when choosing an old Double
      11/05/04 10:36 AM

Phil

In reply to:

The number of available rifles here in the UK is not as great as in the US or Australia

Once this might have been true, but sadly there was an exodus of double rifles out of Australia in in the mid-late nineties.

Australia really had no historical involvement with doubles, except for the odd rifle in what we call a "Kangaroo" chambering: mostly thing's like .442 Carbine.

In the late 70's a small group of entepeneurs started bringing doubles in from India, but that supply dried up in the mid-nineties, about the same time they started to be re-exported because of the onerous gun laws that came into force after the Port Arthur massacre, particularly when the Australian dollar was at it's lowest ebb 3-4 years ago. Those that sold them had only transient interest in them.

Some here have regarded this as tantamount to selling off our heritage, but if it was, it was a very short lived heritage!

Most of these rifles went to the US, particularly the boxlocks, with (curiously) many of the sidelocks going to Germany.

There is still the odd "sleeper" around, and most of the "known" doubles are now firmly in collections and do not come onto the market all that often. Paradoxically, Australia is probably now a net importer of doubles!

In spite of the disadvantageous currency exchange rate, many of these recent imports have come from the UK.

To sum up, the well here has well and truly run dry!

Post Extras Print Post   Remind Me!     Notify Moderator

Entire topic
Subject Posted by Posted on
* What should I look for when choosing an old Double J_in_the_UK 11/05/04 01:51 AM
. * * Re: What should I look for when choosing an old Double NitroXAdministrator   11/05/04 02:58 PM
. * * Re: What should I look for when choosing an old Double J_in_the_UK   11/05/04 07:18 PM
. * * Re: What should I look for when choosing an old Double DUGABOY1   12/05/04 09:16 AM
. * * Re: What should I look for when choosing an old Double NE450No2   13/05/04 04:28 AM
. * * Re: What should I look for when choosing an old Double NitroXAdministrator   12/05/04 01:27 PM
. * * Re: What should I look for when choosing an old Double NitroXAdministrator   11/05/04 11:00 PM
. * * Re: What should I look for when choosing an old Double mickey   11/05/04 04:08 PM
. * * Re: What should I look for when choosing an old Double Rusty   11/05/04 03:54 AM
. * * Re: What should I look for when choosing an old Double Phil_in_the_UK   11/05/04 04:12 AM
. * * Re: What should I look for when choosing an old Double J_in_the_UK   11/05/04 06:15 AM
. * * Re: What should I look for when choosing an old Double Phil_in_the_UK   11/05/04 03:41 AM
. * * Re: What should I look for when choosing an old Double 470Rigby   11/05/04 10:36 AM

Extra information
0 registered and 52 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  CptCurl 

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Thread views: 30186

Rate this thread

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com