Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: What should I look for when choosing an old Double

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Double Rifles, Single Shots & Combinations >> Double Rifles

Rusty
.333 member

Reged: 08/02/03
Loc: Missouri City, Texas
Re: What should I look for when choosing an old Double
      11/05/04 03:54 AM

J.
I'll jump in here, just because I like to help other people spend their money!

I own and I am very partial to 450/400 3 inch. A great all around chambering if there is one. 400 grains at 1950 FPS in tropical 55 Cord regulation. It's great fun! Bullets are plentiful and cases are available from Mast Technology who makes B. E. L. L. brass. You can shoot a heck of a lot more than a larger Nitro Express caliber. I like the 3 inch over the 3 1/4 because it was always a Nitro round and accomplishes the same thing with a bit less pressure!

My next suggestion is a double in 9.3X74R. You still get the tapered flanged cartridge I feel is necessary for a double rifle and once again ammo and the fix'ns are readily available! It is very close to the 400/360 NE. It is a great stag/plains game round and legal for dangerous game in most countries.

Now most folks cringe at the thought of a scope on a double rifle, however with a scope the 9.3X74R can reach out accurately past what we consider the usual double rifle iron sight range.

Passing along my usual words of warning to those looking for a used double rifle, Buyer Beware! The road to double rifle heaven is a heavily mined dragon's tooth tank trap. There is no shame in not knowing what to look for. There is no reason not to get the rifle checked out! As someone else on this forum most eloquently stated, "check the bores, all else is fixable!" I'd like to see on the face as well! A quick test for that is to remove the forearm and while holding the rifle by the action in one hand and the barrels in the other, try to twist the barrels back and forth. There should be no movement!

Oh well, I've rambled again! Sorry! Good hunting for your double rifle! When it come right down to it, the rifle you like and can afford and shoot accurately, is the best double rifle of all!

--------------------
Rusty
We band of brothers!

DRSS

Post Extras Print Post   Remind Me!     Notify Moderator

Entire topic
Subject Posted by Posted on
* What should I look for when choosing an old Double J_in_the_UK 11/05/04 01:51 AM
. * * Re: What should I look for when choosing an old Double NitroXAdministrator   11/05/04 02:58 PM
. * * Re: What should I look for when choosing an old Double J_in_the_UK   11/05/04 07:18 PM
. * * Re: What should I look for when choosing an old Double DUGABOY1   12/05/04 09:16 AM
. * * Re: What should I look for when choosing an old Double NE450No2   13/05/04 04:28 AM
. * * Re: What should I look for when choosing an old Double NitroXAdministrator   12/05/04 01:27 PM
. * * Re: What should I look for when choosing an old Double NitroXAdministrator   11/05/04 11:00 PM
. * * Re: What should I look for when choosing an old Double mickey   11/05/04 04:08 PM
. * * Re: What should I look for when choosing an old Double Rusty   11/05/04 03:54 AM
. * * Re: What should I look for when choosing an old Double Phil_in_the_UK   11/05/04 04:12 AM
. * * Re: What should I look for when choosing an old Double J_in_the_UK   11/05/04 06:15 AM
. * * Re: What should I look for when choosing an old Double Phil_in_the_UK   11/05/04 03:41 AM
. * * Re: What should I look for when choosing an old Double 470Rigby   11/05/04 10:36 AM

Extra information
1 registered and 255 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  CptCurl 

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Thread views: 30374

Rate this thread

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com