Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Rifling the choke?

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Double Rifles, Single Shots & Combinations >> Paradox and Bore Guns

DarylS
.700 member

Reged: 10/08/05
Loc: Beautiful British Columbia, Ca...
Re: Rifling the choke?
      08/11/09 06:07 AM

I had that same idea many years ago, Martin- I wanted to rifle the chokes of a .410 double - though it would be a 'cool' gun for BP loads and a 300gr. slug.

I don't see any reason why not, although I'm not sure what you mean about 'primitive' on the toooling. Use of another barrel (any descent calibre ML barrel should work) as a guide. Cast a lead lapp inside the 'guide' barrel around a mandrel for guiding the rifling head inside the shotgun bore. European barrels usually have a longer "End Choke" than US made barrels,s so the resulting rifled choke should be longer, which is good - maybe 4" to 5" tops - perhaps. thus, the guide barrel could easily be as short as 10" or longer, of course, would be better. Lead lapps on both, one a guide and the other holding the cutter would be the way I'd do it. Lots of measuring to get things lined up for pouring the lapps, of course. use almsot pure lead for the 'guide' and harder lead for the cutting tool's lapp, I'd think. Kind of thinking things out of course, while typing this. Hope the typing's not too bad.

Most older full choke 12's run around .690" in the bore and and .729" to .730" in the main barrel. .040" (40 thou) was the 'normal' full choke, called "40 points of choke".

This will give .020" or so per side of rifling depth to your 'paradox'. The ball used should fit the major bore diameter to within a thou or so, just as a Paradox bullet fits - much larger than the .715" mould you have. When the balls hit the rifled section, they need to engrave enough to take the twist. If you use a cupped wad to hold the ball in the centre, it's possible the wad might transform the twist rate to the ball, but I certainly wouldn't guarantee that. Full length rifled or smooth works fine with cup-wads and RB's, but the cupped wad & ball might merely strip when it hits the short rifled section at velocity.

As for rifling twist, about anything from 56" or slower to perhaps 100" should be fine, I'm sure. Oh course, it would probably have to be faster for slugs in smaller gauges.

--------------------
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a Spaniel without ears" King George V

Post Extras Print Post   Remind Me!     Notify Moderator

Entire topic
Subject Posted by Posted on
* Rifling the choke? beleg2 08/11/09 12:53 AM
. * * Re: Rifling the choke? DarylS   08/11/09 06:07 AM
. * * Re: Rifling the choke? beleg2   09/11/09 01:32 PM
. * * Re: Rifling the choke? beleg2   22/11/09 12:21 AM
. * * Re: Rifling the choke? DarylS   22/11/09 04:38 AM
. * * Re: Rifling the choke? beleg2   23/11/09 01:07 AM
. * * Re: Rifling the choke? DarylS   23/11/09 02:55 AM
. * * Re: Rifling the choke? beleg2   23/11/09 03:15 AM

Extra information
0 registered and 53 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  tinker 

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Thread views: 3649

Rate this thread

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com