Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Follow up to the canned lion appeal

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Hunting >> Hunting in Africa & hunting dangerous game

ChinaFleetSailor
.224 member

Reged: 19/11/05
Re: Follow up to the canned lion appeal
      02/11/09 10:01 AM

The problem with that is, if you took down all the fences, certain species might go extinct.

Here in Texas, we have more Scimitar Horned Oryx than exist in their natural environment. There, the animals are endangered. Here you can hunt them.

But you can't just introduce exotic animals here. That's illegal. So you need to fence the property.

We have a viable population of Scimitar Horned Oryx because it's profitable for the landowners. The problem is, it may not be for much longer. The animal rights activists want all hunting stopped because the animals are endangered in their home country. Even though they're not here.

How do you think the landowners are going to react? Do you think they're going to maintain viable populations of an animal that you can't hunt, instead of maintaining a viable population of animals that he can offer to hunters?

I say "hunters" and not "shooters" because if the property is large enough then it doesn't hinder the animals at all.

Not that I've ever done it. But a lot of Texas ranches are bigger than some islands I've hunted for deer.

I'm not a fan of hunting high-fenced properties. I hunt on a lease near the Red River that is a working ranch and is not high fenced. I'm also not a fan of hunting exotics. I'd rather go to their natural habitat and hunt them.

But I'm also practical enough to concede that high fenced properties in Texas have created reservoirs of animals that can't be hunted in their natural habitats, because in many cases they're endangered in their home countries.

And you can't legally have those exotics here without the high fence.

Doing as you say, getting rid of all the fences, would in some cases harm the chances for some of these species' long term survival.

Post Extras Print Post   Remind Me!     Notify Moderator

Entire topic
Subject Posted by Posted on
* Follow up to the canned lion appeal gryphon 30/09/09 07:57 AM
. * * Re: Follow up to the canned lion appeal bwananelson   30/09/09 09:30 AM
. * * Re: Follow up to the canned lion appeal ChinaFleetSailor   02/11/09 10:01 AM
. * * Re: Follow up to the canned lion appeal Ripp   02/11/09 12:57 PM
. * * Re: Follow up to the canned lion appeal ChinaFleetSailor   07/11/09 02:02 PM

Extra information
1 registered and 27 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:   

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Thread views: 2381

Rate this thread

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com