Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: dogs and snakebite

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Hunting >> Hunting dogs

9.3x57
.450 member

Reged: 22/04/07
Loc: United States
Re: dogs and snakebite
      14/05/09 10:58 PM

Very interesting stuff.

Must have missed this in the past.

We have no venomous snakes here, but did have rattlesnakes west of Spokane Washington where I lived for a time in the early '90's.

We had a Labrador Retriever that was bitten. Trouble was, the dog was roaming about when the strike occured, and didn't get home till he was literally dragging the bitten leg. The leg had swollen up to about the size of my leg and it appeared to be "dead" with no response to stimulus {he couldn't move it} except for pain.

We of course at that time then rushed him to the vet.

The vet examined the dog, verified rattlesnake bite and stated that the anti-venin was useless as the strike was at least 4 hours old {our combined estimate}. His prescription was a high dose of antibiotics. The reason he said, was, that in this case, with antivenin of no assistance, the venom would work its course and the dog either die or survive its direct affect. However, the next problem would be the injury to the tissues by the venom, and the possibility of infection/gangrene later. Thus, Buster got a buttfull of penecillin or some such {I don't recall the exact antibiotic} and he was sent home.

Vet said in a week or so he'll either be dead or he'll start to improve. Saving the leg was another issue.

Well, he did survive. He laid around for a day or so then rose from the grave so-to-speak and dragged the useless club around for another few days and then little-by-little put weight on it and the swelling went down, and in about 2 to 3 weeks was himself again, which is to say, a loveable knothead of a lug with an incredible and brainless hattred of snakes of all sorts. He dug them out and brought them home to chew on. Never got another rattler, but died about a year later of some sort of brain aneurism after being struck by three vehicles and a horse trailer over the course of that year.

I don't know if it matters, but the snakes we had there were small; 2 to 3 feet long at the longest, and a little bigger than my thumb in thickness. We had a jar of rattles in alcohol sitting around, from the one's I shot among the rocks behind the house, but the movers pinched them when we came over here.

--------------------
What are the Rosary, the Cross or the Crucifix other than tools to help maintain the fortress of our faith in Jesus Christ, the Son of God?

Post Extras Print Post   Remind Me!     Notify Moderator

Entire topic
Subject Posted by Posted on
* dogs and snakebite rgp 11/06/05 03:58 PM
. * * Re: dogs and snakebite starwars   03/04/08 12:44 PM
. * * Re: dogs and snakebite Jake   21/03/06 10:57 PM
. * * Re: dogs and snakebite Marrakai   24/03/06 02:51 PM
. * * Re: dogs and snakebite Bakes   13/04/06 11:01 AM
. * * Re: dogs and snakebite rgp   13/04/06 02:56 PM
. * * Re: dogs and snakebite bulldog563   25/01/07 06:00 AM
. * * Re: dogs and snakebite EricD   03/02/07 05:21 AM
. * * Re: dogs and snakebite Marrakai   11/02/07 12:10 PM
. * * Re: dogs and snakebite Taylor416   14/05/09 11:59 AM
. * * Re: dogs and snakebite 9.3x57   14/05/09 10:58 PM
. * * Re: dogs and snakebite ALAN_MCKENZIE   19/02/07 12:00 AM
. * * Re: dogs and snakebite Badger_Matt   19/02/07 02:00 AM
. * * Re: dogs and snakebite Lawman   04/05/07 02:05 AM
. * * Re: dogs and snakebite Shackleton   04/09/07 12:18 AM

Extra information
0 registered and 9 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  NitroX 

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Thread views: 4908

Rate this thread

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com