Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: 8 Bore Boxlock

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Double Rifles, Single Shots & Combinations >> Paradox and Bore Guns

CowboyCS
.333 member

Reged: 05/10/07
Loc: Kansas u.S.A.
8 Bore Boxlock
      08/05/09 10:22 AM

Last fall I listed a speculation gun I was building for sale on this forum. One of our members here contacted me asking for details about the build. We worked out all the details and I commenced to building. I keep a running blog of some of my builds on my website and he has been following along as it came together, so now that it is finished even though he doesn't have it yet he has already seen the finished pictures and given me permission to post them here.
Even though we weren't able to meet in person, I'm confident that this rifle will fit him very well. I sent him some measurement sheets and instruction for using the British method of fitting a rifle, and then I also had him take direct measurements off of rifles and shotguns that he already owned and considered his most comfortable/accurate fitting guns.
The technical details:
8 Bore (.835") 1:104 twist Octagon to wedding band transition then straight tapered round to the muzzle.
Jeff Tanner Ball Mould (.805")
The finished rifle weighs right at 11 pounds.
The Action is a Pete Allan Boxlock Casting, it is representative of the 1860's Edwin Wesson Boxlocks. The metal finish is rust blued.
The Ramrod is Rosewood w/ a steel button on one end and a threaded steel tip on the other for accesories.
It has a full length underrib to add a little weight.
The Stock is rock maple, stained with a dark walnut stain and then oil finished and then waxed to a sheen. The forearms has an ebony tip, all the pipes, underrib, front sight and sight base were custom made in my shop. The action was also reshaped, and the original triggerguard was removed and replace with the more elegant and classic one in the finished pictures. The butt plate is a wide English style plate.
The checkering is flattop.

The load data is on the sight in target, it is a light load and is still shooting a bit low, I left it at that so he will be able to develop his load with his components and bring it up to a full 8 bore charge.

If you would like to read up on the build process or see the build pictures they can be found at my website in the current projects section: Stolzer & Son's Gunsmithing

If you have any question feel free to ask.

Enjoy

Colin

--------------------
The Bill of Rights- Void were prohibited by law
Stolzer & Son's Gunsmithing

Edited by CowboyCS (08/05/09 10:25 AM)

Post Extras Print Post   Remind Me!     Notify Moderator

Entire topic
Subject Posted by Posted on
* 8 Bore Boxlock CowboyCS 08/05/09 10:22 AM
. * * Re: 8 Bore Boxlock degoins   09/05/09 11:41 AM
. * * Re: 8 Bore Boxlock CowboyCS   09/05/09 01:30 PM
. * * Re: 8 Bore Boxlock CowboyCS   10/05/09 11:26 PM
. * * Re: 8 Bore Boxlock cordite   14/05/09 10:19 AM
. * * Re: 8 Bore Boxlock CowboyCS   14/05/09 12:10 PM
. * * Re: 8 Bore Boxlock Hobbit   16/05/09 11:24 AM
. * * Re: 8 Bore Boxlock szihn   16/05/09 12:40 PM
. * * Re: 8 Bore Boxlock DarylS   20/05/09 03:08 AM
. * * Re: 8 Bore Boxlock CowboyCS   20/05/09 12:22 PM

Extra information
0 registered and 14 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  tinker 

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Thread views: 5835

Rate this thread

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com