Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Botswana woes.

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Hunting >> Hunting in Africa & hunting dangerous game

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Reged: 25/12/02
Loc: Barossa Valley, South Australi...
Re: Botswana woes.
      06/03/09 08:53 PM

Quote:

He advised the residents to look at photography tourism as one area they could make money out of as hunting will be ceased.

The trust has advertised in local newspapers for companies to enter into joint venture arrangement in management of Community Multi-purpose Controlled Hunting Area NG 18 for a nine-year period.

Minister Mokaila requested the residents to withdraw the advert so that they could remove the hunting issue, as government has decided to stop hunting in areas near parks and game reserves.

In true democracies the gov't needs to actually pass the laws first before people need to take note of them.

Quote:

"Photo tourism is the way to go as it would give you the chance of employment for a 12 month period, whereas in hunting, you get employment for only six months as it is seasonal," Mr Mokaila emphasised.

One of the residents, Mr Kealeta Motswadi agreed with the idea of photo tourism agreeing with the minister that it would give more people the opportunity to get employment.

Why not extend the hunting season instead? As I understand the season is limited by the gov't.

Also maybe the profits to the community is exceeded by a 6 month hunting season as compared to a 12 month tourist season? Especially as I can see a "lot" of tourists there in the "wet" season.

Also a LOT of competition to attract tourists in all areas.

To me as they are talking about areas near parks, it sounds like the Bots Gov't is pandering to the commercial interests of tourist operators in the Parks.

Quote:

Residents murmured in groups after the meeting as some said they were not satisfied with the idea of stopping hunting.

Obviously not much consultation with the local community.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Govt get out of our lives NOW!
"I love the smell of cordite in the morning."
"A Sharp spear needs no polish"

Post Extras Print Post   Remind Me!     Notify Moderator

Entire topic
Subject Posted by Posted on
* Botswana woes. gryphon 06/03/09 07:28 PM
. * * Re: Botswana woes. JabaliHunter   06/03/09 08:55 PM
. * * Re: Botswana woes. NitroXAdministrator   06/03/09 08:59 PM
. * * Re: Botswana woes. Ripp   07/03/09 12:10 AM
. * * Re: Botswana woes. ALAN_MCKENZIE   11/03/09 11:44 PM
. * * Re: Botswana woes. NitroXAdministrator   06/03/09 08:53 PM

Extra information
0 registered and 395 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:   

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Thread views: 2278

Rate this thread

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com