Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Musket Cap/Nipple: higher pressure?

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Shooting & Reloading - Mausers, Big Bores and others >> Muzzleloaders & Blackpowder

bp72double
.224 member

Reged: 12/12/08
Loc: Arkansas USA
Re: Musket Cap/Nipple: higher pressure?
      01/03/09 04:36 PM

Daryl, thanks for the super informative post. I was wondering about lowering the nipple seats too-tried to think of a way to take an xray to show the chamber configuration, but since it's a double barrel I don't think I can get the right angle to show what I'd need to see. Maybe a straight lateral image but I don't think my xray machine will go thru 2 barrels adequately. You make a good case for just sticking with 2f black powder! It's so much cheaper and works so well, I really may not bother with the Pyrodex. I can buy Goex directly from a distributor, so no hazmat fee-hence $12/lb price. I will do the chamfer job-sounds easy enough. I'll shove a rag down the barrel to catch any stray abrasives or filings. That patch combo sounds pretty tight-I know I couldn't do it now without a big hammer. I've tried a denim patch and a .715 pure lead ball and it won't fit without a pounding. Lands should be .724 according to specs, though I haven't miked 'em myself yet. You're right about the conicals I think. I don't see how they could stay put in that left barrel with the recoil produced and that would be baaad with this much powder. It isn't a long distance gun anyway; I'm planning on getting a Whitworth for that, or maybe a Gibbs. 75 yards or so, and these big round balls really seem to smash things! I shot an 18" section of pressure treated 6x6 lumber at 50 yards or so, and sent it flying several feet, leaving a 2" hole on the exit side. Love that! I've been working on a fitted wood case for the gun and accessories, learning how to do that during the winter months here.
thanks again
Richard

Post Extras Print Post   Remind Me!     Notify Moderator

Entire topic
Subject Posted by Posted on
* Musket Cap/Nipple: higher pressure? bp72double 28/02/09 02:45 PM
. * * Re: Musket Cap/Nipple: higher pressure? Tatume   28/02/09 11:53 PM
. * * Re: Musket Cap/Nipple: higher pressure? Dphariss   09/03/09 08:30 AM
. * * Re: Musket Cap/Nipple: higher pressure? DarylSModerator   09/03/09 09:21 AM
. * * Re: Musket Cap/Nipple: higher pressure? gapgar   10/03/09 07:34 AM
. * * Re: Musket Cap/Nipple: higher pressure? Kaimiloa   13/03/09 05:24 PM
. * * Re: Musket Cap/Nipple: higher pressure? Kaimiloa   14/03/09 01:44 AM
. * * Re: Musket Cap/Nipple: higher pressure? DarylSModerator   14/03/09 03:42 AM
. * * Re: Musket Cap/Nipple: higher pressure? bp72double   01/03/09 02:23 AM
. * * Re: Musket Cap/Nipple: higher pressure? DarylSModerator   01/03/09 02:25 PM
. * * Re: Musket Cap/Nipple: higher pressure? bp72double   01/03/09 04:36 PM
. * * Re: Musket Cap/Nipple: higher pressure? DarylSModerator   02/03/09 04:37 AM
. * * Re: Musket Cap/Nipple: higher pressure? David_P   03/03/09 11:38 PM
. * * Re: Musket Cap/Nipple: higher pressure? gapgar   07/03/09 06:20 PM
. * * Re: Musket Cap/Nipple: higher pressure? DarylSModerator   08/03/09 08:22 AM

Extra information
0 registered and 2 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  DarylS 

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Thread views: 5187

Rate this thread

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com