Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Learning my new .470

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Double Rifles, Single Shots & Combinations >> Double Rifles

AlaskanPH
.224 member

Reged: 31/03/04
Loc: Alaska
Learning my new .470
      31/03/04 08:44 AM

Though I am a licensed and fully active Master Big Game Guide here in Alaska and have used my .416 Remington bolt action rifle for many years both here and in Africa, I am new to the world of Double Rifles.

I recently received my new Krieghoff .470 NE and am in the process of learning about the gun and am starting down the long road to becoming comfortable and competent with it. Though I may use it here in Alaska on some of the hunts I guide (possibly when I am guiding a bow hunter for brown bears or grizzly) I suspect that I will use it primarily in Africa.

With that said, I have a couple of initial questions for those that have some time under there belts with their double rifles.

Firstly, the gun is extremely stiff! Is there any way to loosen it up more quickly besides just time using it and breaking it open thousands of times? Though I am not a small man and am reasonably strong, there is no way that I can break it completely open without effort and it seems that with it being so stiff it will definitely slow down the reload time, which could have potentially serious consequences in the field. Am I wrong in thinking that it should be smooth and loose enough that when holding the rifle level to the ground and pusing the thumb lever the barrels should simply drop fully open by themselves from their own weight?

Secondly, for those that have used their doubles in the field hunting, particularily for dangerous game, what have you found to be the fastest and most effective method of reloading the gun?

In advance, I thank you for your time and look forward to your thoughts.

All the best,

AKPH

Post Extras Print Post   Remind Me!     Notify Moderator

Entire topic
Subject Posted by Posted on
* Learning my new .470 AlaskanPH 31/03/04 08:44 AM
. * * Re: Learning my new .470 Rusty   31/03/04 11:27 PM
. * * Re: Learning my new .470 JBoutfishn   31/03/04 03:32 PM
. * * Re: Learning my new .470 luv2safari   31/03/04 01:17 PM
. * * Re: Learning my new .470 475Guy   31/03/04 12:26 PM
. * * Re: Learning my new .470 mickey   31/03/04 01:01 PM

Extra information
1 registered and 64 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  CptCurl 

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Thread views: 2267

Rate this thread

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com