Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: What makes a safari better?

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Hunting >> Hunting in Africa & hunting dangerous game

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Reged: 25/12/02
Loc: Barossa Valley, South Australi...
Re: What makes a safari better?
      24/01/03 11:20 PM

TimV

In reply to:

What is the crucial factors that makes a safari a never to be forget experience? Is it an exceptional trophy, or a quality stalk or what else?

Personally I go on safari for enjoyable hunting. That is the most important. I always like a balance of difficult hunts and some easier hunts. Makes a difference to most other hunts around the world where a high percentage are good hunting without result.

Trophies should be representative. I'm not worried about "bragging" heads. Not my scene at all. However if someone is charging me a lot of $$$ I'm also not interested in immature and sub-standard heads. So its a compromise.

In reply to:

What is the main purpose or goal of your safari?

Good enjoyable hunting.

In reply to:

What species are you most interested in?

First safari - kudu was my number one game animal. But also liked warthog. Also took wildebeest, impala, common duiker, zebra. Wanted also klipspringer but sighted a record class buck but didn't get a shot off. Also wanted Tsessebe but took a nice eland instead.

Second safari my main two animals were bushbuck and hartebeest in South Africa, and Buffalo, waterbuck and Sable in Zim.

Took a very nice bushbuck and hunted very hard for hartebeest. Had one or two possible opportunities but again not enough time for a shot. Thats how it goes. Missed a rep kudu and took a nice impala

In Zim did eventually get onto an old buff. Took a Waterbuck in the first morning and never saw a good Sable (Sable was added when we switched properties - quota was full at the first property). Also took two Zebra, an excellent Chobe bushbuck and another impala.

In reply to:

How much are you prepared to spend on a safari?

Really I think the prices are way too high and have been pushed up by the high US $. I don't remember seeing any pricess DROP when the US $ strengthened. Funny that.

For plains game safaries I thinkanything over US$250 per day is too much.

Some trophy fees are really ridiculous as well in US$. That's why I always take some impala and warthog and similar cheapies and limit the over-priced animals.

Also not all clients earn US $ and a lot of consideration should be taken of that.

I want a lot, don't I.

In reply to:

What is the most important item on a safari?

The total package. Good hunting. Good camp. Lots of fun.

I see someone mentioned they like tented camps. Tented camps for me personally are fine if out in the wilds, especially if there is a thatched roof for insulation. But if in a settled area nice rondavals etc with ensuite etc are great. Funny story. I hunted on a property once where they had a fantastic camp with top class rooms in their own rondavel. But their hunters wanted an "African" experience so they built a tented camp. Everyone to their own but I hunt pretty rough back home usually just a swag among the mosquitos and ants . So when I'm paying for it I want luxury

I must give a plug for BigFive's camp I just stayed in. It was easily the best camp so far. Fantastic food by a Hilton trained chef, excellent service - aways a couple of staff (nicknamed "those damn people" - a joke to be revealed) with cold drinks and warm moist towels waiting BEFORE you enter camp. Good wines (which I had to buy but that was OK as I went looking for wines to try being in that business). Nice lodges as well.

Those Damn People !!!

Tim

Sorry about the long reply. Good thread topic.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Govt get out of our lives NOW!
"I love the smell of cordite in the morning."
"A Sharp spear needs no polish"

Post Extras Print Post   Remind Me!     Notify Moderator

Entire topic
Subject Posted by Posted on
* What makes a safari better? TimV 21/01/03 07:17 AM
. * * Re: What makes a safari better? mikeh416Rigby   12/03/03 11:02 AM
. * * Re: What makes a safari better? Bigfive   12/03/03 05:14 PM
. * * Re: What makes a safari better? NitroXAdministrator   13/03/03 01:00 AM
. * * Re: What makes a safari better? DUGABOY1   02/02/03 08:22 AM
. * * Re: What makes a safari better? NitroXAdministrator   24/01/03 11:20 PM
. * * Re: What makes a safari better? Mpofu   22/01/03 11:08 PM
. * * Re: What makes a safari better? gryphon   21/01/03 06:11 PM
. * * Re: What makes a safari better? Mac   21/01/03 12:02 PM

Extra information
0 registered and 299 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:   

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Thread views: 2066

Rate this thread

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com