Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Interesting find - Mauser with a ton of hunting history

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Shooting & Reloading - Mausers, Big Bores and others >> Mauser Discussion Forum

billeastern
.275 member

Reged: 28/11/08
Loc: New York
Interesting find - Mauser with a ton of hunting history
      30/11/08 07:48 AM

As the saying go when you least expect it you stumble across something cool. My parents have recently sold their house and I was over helping them clean out. A lot of interesting stuff, especially from my grandfather who was a world-class deep sea fisherman of old. Plenty of cool old rods and reels, harpoons, etc. One thing I was not planning on seeing was an old mauser sporting rifle. When I brought it up to my father he felt compelled to tell me the story: it was owned by a gentlemen who used to fish with my grandfather and was responsible for killing a great deal of animals for the Museum of Natural History in NYC. He had given it to my grandfather as a gift. Of course my dad can't remember his name and my grandfather is not alive to ask. It is a beautiful old rifle. It has a very classic look look, the old flag safety, dark wood stock, orange recoil pad, etc. It has double set triggers, mounts for some claw-type quick detach scope mounts and a most interesting front sight that spins around offering different color beads. Very nice workmanship and a beautiful rifle. According to my dad there was an old zeiss scope with it but that was lost a long time ago. It has a lot of interesting markings on it:

US 30-06
Mauserwerk AG OBERNDORF A/N

IG
2 crowns with the letters
U and N under each

On bolt handle it says 5794 and has another 2 crowns under that with the letters B U underneath

So now I am of course committed to finding out more about it. Any ideas on where I could go to try and identify who this hunter/owner was? Again, according to my dad my grandfather said he was a famous world-class hunter and knowing my grandfather he was not prone to compliments/envy that were not deserved. Think Quint from Jaws.... He fished from the 30's through the 60's.

Interested to hear any advice. Thx!

Post Extras Print Post   Remind Me!     Notify Moderator

Entire topic
Subject Posted by Posted on
* Interesting find - Mauser with a ton of hunting history billeastern 30/11/08 07:48 AM
. * * Re: Interesting find - Mauser with a ton of hunting history A10ACN   04/12/08 12:37 AM
. * * Re: Interesting find - Mauser with a ton of hunting history billeastern   04/12/08 05:19 AM
. * * Re: Interesting find - Mauser with a ton of hunting history Stuart   30/11/08 08:46 AM
. * * Re: Interesting find - Mauser with a ton of hunting history billeastern   30/11/08 10:11 AM
. * * Re: Interesting find - Mauser with a ton of hunting history dons   30/11/08 11:23 AM
. * * Re: Interesting find - Mauser with a ton of hunting history pjaln   01/12/08 11:30 PM
. * * Re: Interesting find - Mauser with a ton of hunting history billeastern   02/12/08 04:54 AM
. * * Re: Interesting find - Mauser with a ton of hunting history Story   03/12/08 06:31 PM
. * * Re: Interesting find - Mauser with a ton of hunting history 500Nitro   30/11/08 07:57 AM

Extra information
0 registered and 50 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  NitroX 

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Thread views: 4379

Rate this thread

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com