Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Big Game Rifle Club

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Double Rifles, Single Shots & Combinations >> Double Rifles

470Rigby
.333 member

Reged: 23/02/04
Loc: Melbourne, Australia
Re: Big Game Rifle Club
      16/03/04 05:56 PM

mickey - I don't recall disparaging those that sold doubles overseas for purely monetary reasons - only the shortsightdeness of those who, not realising their true worth, panicked and sold them off when they saw autos going into the crusher after Port Arthur. Perhaps one of those unfortunate confluences of history that this happened when the A$ was weak. I have sold stuff overseas myself - but only to finance getting into something better - and I have had this hoary old argument thrown at me about doing the needfull and giving priortiy to Aussie buyers, even if it meant settling for less spondoola. My attitude it - it goes to whoever has got the most readies at the time! I was merely chronicling the history of the BGRC, and noting the fact that, for one little moment in history, Aussie afficionados of heavy doubles had it pretty good - probably too good, because they thought it would never end. Doubles were bought (and sold) like there was "no tommorrow". But there was, and as you know, the supply in India dried up - but some here still didn't understand their good fortune and flogged them off overseas (usually too cheaply!), from where they will never return, without realising that these were very rare things. Easy come - easy go! The Poms tried to emulate the succes of the BGRC with the Express Rifle Association (ERA), but soon found that, even in the country that they were made, there were not enough to sustain a club. Sadly, that is the situation that the BGRC is currently in now, and it is in some measure, self-inflicted by adopting rule and class structures that provided no incentive to hanging on to collectable double. In the club's hey-dey, even H&H's David Winks's eyes would boggle at the number of their doubles at H&H Shoots! Probably never as many in the H&H showroom at one time! It is the demise of that once great club that I lament - sorry if you interpreted that to be regret about the loss of the rifles (regretable as that is) or just sour-grapes about not being offered one at a "mates-rates"! I did manage to hang on to a few - and those that went only made way for my other love - Pommie shotguns!

Post Extras Print Post   Remind Me!     Notify Moderator

Entire topic
Subject Posted by Posted on
* Big Game Rifle Club NitroXAdministrator 10/03/03 12:02 AM
. * * Re: Big Game Rifle Club 470Rigby   16/03/04 12:33 PM
. * * Re: Big Game Rifle Club mickey   16/03/04 04:20 PM
. * * Re: Big Game Rifle Club 470Rigby   16/03/04 05:56 PM
. * * Re: Big Game Rifle Club mickey   16/03/04 06:25 PM
. * * Re: Big Game Rifle Club NitroXAdministrator   16/03/04 02:07 PM
. * * Re: Big Game Rifle Club mickey   10/03/03 03:29 PM

Extra information
0 registered and 52 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  CptCurl 

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Thread views: 2637

Rate this thread

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com