Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: info. on 416 Rigby

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Shooting & Reloading - Mausers, Big Bores and others >> Big Bore Rifles

Ben
.400 member

Reged: 22/08/08
Loc: Northern Territory, Australia
Re: info. on 416 Rigby
      24/08/08 07:56 PM

G'day,

I have been hunting with my CZ550 in .416 Rigby for only four years, but have had a lot of fun in that time. Between my mates and I, my rifle has accounted for seven buffalo, three scrub bulls, ten camels, four donkeys, one brumby, and about seven pigs of various sizes.

I haven't fiddled with loads much, choosing a medium load of 94 grains of 2209 to push the 410 soft point Woodleigh. It works, so I stick to it. It's not the bottom load (93 grains), but it's not the maximum load (98 grains).

I do believe that my rifle is user friendly, and to me the jolt it gives is part of the thrill of such a calibre. It's only the first couple of times that you let off seven or eight rounds that you can feel it for a day or so. After that, you seem to toughen up. So, in my opinion, it is pleasant to shoot.

I bought my brass from Horsley Park. The brass is made by Norma, and I'm very happy with it. I think they cost about six dollars each. Or was it three dollars? It was awhile ago. Somehow, six dollars rings a bell for first load, and three dollars for each one after that.

The press I use is not fancy. It is a Lee Anniversary kit, and at first glance seems too small. However, I just insert the projectile up into the die and hold it there before bringing the brass up to it to seat it. Hopefully you can follow that. The point is that I have a lot of success with a not-very-fancy press.

The only issue I am having now with my rifle is that the magazine spring seems a little weak, and one has to be aware of this in hunting / back-up situations. I stretch it out a bit to fix this.

I've never shot a .458 so I can't compare the recoil.

I hope this helps, and I believe you'll have a lot of fun!

Cheers,

Ben

Post Extras Print Post   Remind Me!     Notify Moderator

Entire topic
Subject Posted by Posted on
* info. on 416 Rigby AUSSIE_1 09/08/08 11:46 PM
. * * Re: info. on 416 Rigby shinz   24/08/08 07:29 PM
. * * Re: info. on 416 Rigby Ben   24/08/08 07:56 PM
. * * Re: info. on 416 Rigby Aussiesteve   02/09/08 07:25 PM
. * * Re: info. on 416 Rigby Ben   02/09/08 09:09 PM
. * * Re: info. on 416 Rigby Aussiesteve   03/09/08 07:18 PM
. * * Re: info. on 416 Rigby josef_frey   14/08/08 07:41 PM
. * * Re: info. on 416 Rigby ozhunter   24/08/08 11:29 AM

Extra information
0 registered and 25 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:   

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Thread views: 3317

Rate this thread

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com