Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Nailing the ribs...

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Double Rifles, Single Shots & Combinations >> Building Double Rifles & Gunsmithing

oupa
.300 member

Reged: 01/03/06
Loc: Maryland,USA
Nailing the ribs...
      01/07/08 01:07 AM

In working with the ribs on my first Dbl. rifle project I discovered there is quite a difference in soldering shotgun ribs as opposed to the much heavier rifle barrels. The amount of heat needed is considerably more to get good flow and adhesion of the solder. Then there is the more critical alignment issues with rifle barrels. In using the traditional method with wire and nails there is the added problem of soldering around the nails and not soldering them to the ribs...

I made this little fixture to hold everything at once while not crowding the work area. Since making the orginal I've since moved the four (two top and two bottom) verticle alignment barrel screws closer to center. As you can see they were virtually useless with this particular project. The open design doesn't sink any heat away from the barrel/ribs while allowing space to work around the fixture. This type fixture is featured in the second addition of Ellis Brown's book. Mine is made of 1/4 X 1 inch aluminium simply bacause I had it on hand. You could easily use steel or I think ideally, a section of 2X3 square steel tubing. The screws are stainless to avoid solder sticking to them. Originally I only made one using wire and nails farther back the rib but it worked so well I've made a second that together should be all that's needed to hold an entire assembly - barrels, top and bottom ribs.

Post Extras Print Post   Remind Me!     Notify Moderator

Entire topic
Subject Posted by Posted on
* Nailing the ribs... oupa 01/07/08 01:07 AM
. * * Re: Nailing the ribs... tinker   01/07/08 02:51 AM
. * * Re: Nailing the ribs... oupa   01/07/08 09:21 AM
. * * Re: Nailing the ribs... shinz   01/07/08 05:40 PM
. * * Re: Nailing the ribs... oupa   02/07/08 03:07 AM
. * * Re: Nailing the ribs... dale   04/07/08 05:47 PM
. * * Re: Nailing the ribs... dale   04/07/08 05:49 PM
. * * Re: Nailing the ribs... DarylS   05/07/08 12:15 AM
. * * Re: Nailing the ribs... Ron_Vella   06/07/08 10:42 AM
. * * Re: Nailing the ribs... Birdhunter50   01/07/08 01:11 PM

Extra information
0 registered and 19 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  CptCurl 

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Thread views: 497

Rate this thread

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com