Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: strength of Savage 311

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Double Rifles, Single Shots & Combinations >> Building Double Rifles & Gunsmithing

oupa
.300 member

Reged: 01/03/06
Loc: Maryland,USA
Re: strength of Savage 311
      22/05/08 12:19 AM

Actually - as much as I hate to own up to such a thing - I do have "personal experience" with these guns. Quite some years back I aquired a ratty old Stevens 20 bore literally in parts. Since the barrels were a total loss I decided it'd be a good place to learn to build a DR. Ah youth, and the stupidity that goes with it!

Decided on 32Win. Spl. since I had a couple 8mm s-bore barrels laying around and the .32 is .001 smaller than the .323 bore of those barrels. I was smart enough to clamp the finished rifle to the bench and pull the trigger by cord from around the corner. Good idea as the damned thing came nearly apart. Firing pin, hammer, top of stock at wrist and a few other odds and ends were never found. Never got around to trying the second barrel.

The bolt while not letting go completely was a miserable failure even if the other parts had stayed put. Of course there's the argument that those "other parts" letting go may have been the relief valve that kept the bolt from failing completely... Who knows, I'm just glad I didn't fire it from the shoulder! Eventually I did resurect the thing as a .22LR that's been laying on a shelf for s few years, yet to be polished, blued or stocked.

So there you have it, the true life confession of a cobbler! That was some years ago and I like to think I've learned a lot since then. Rule #1 any gun with a single fastener is NOT suitable for ANYTHING it wasn't intended for and only then if its in good condition. Some latterday authorties claim a minimum of a third bite is required for any DR. Not sure I'd go THAT far but definately two and three sure wouldn't hurt!

If you'd like to take a chance on a Savage/Stevens action be my guest. Please however, do not fire it from the shoulder! From personal experience, there are many. many much better actions available. If price is THAT MUCH a factor you probably shouldn't be doing it anyway!

Post Extras Print Post   Remind Me!     Notify Moderator

Entire topic
Subject Posted by Posted on
* strength of Savage 311 Charles 01/05/08 12:20 PM
. * * Re: strength of Savage 311 Charles   22/05/08 06:39 AM
. * * Re: strength of Savage 311 Charles   21/05/08 06:56 AM
. * * Re: strength of Savage 311 oupa   22/05/08 12:19 AM
. * * Re: strength of Savage 311 oupa   19/05/08 12:37 PM
. * * Re: strength of Savage 311 Ron_Vella   03/05/08 10:23 AM

Extra information
0 registered and 11 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  CptCurl 

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Thread views: 662

Rate this thread

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com