Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Scope

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Double Rifles, Single Shots & Combinations >> Double Rifles

Grenadier
.375 member

Reged: 20/02/08
Loc: North of the Columbia, USA
Re: Scope
      19/04/08 02:57 PM

Mike,

I cannot think of a better or more useful rifle. Great choice. Here are my thoughts.

1. Eye relief: 3.7 inches with the S&B is definitely enough. The extended eye relief of the Swarovski is more than enough. Because H&H will be mounting the scope a measured distance from your eye, the Swarovski will require mounting 1" farther forward. The farther your eye is from the scope the more difficult it will be to avoid the effects of parallax. In other words, if your eye is closer to the scope it is easier to quickly position your eye in the optical center of the eyepiece. The more your eye is off the optical center of the scope, the greater the parallax. I think the standard Z6 without EE would be more desirable and a closer comparison with the S&B.

2. Weight and dimensions: It's pretty much a toss up. But because the Z6 1-6 X 24 EE is just as long as the S&B and has the extra eye relief the Swarovski ends up mounted 1" further forward than the S&B and therefore sticks forward 1" closer to the muzzle than the S&B would extend. They both weigh about the same but the Swarovski puts it's one pound 1" closer to the muzzle. I think the Swarovski will look out of place on the H&H double and I wonder what moving one pound 1" closer to the muzzle would do to the point of balance on a rifle that weighs less than 9.5 pounds. Again, I think the standard Z6 without EE would be more desirable and a closer comparison with the S&B.

3. Aesthetics: I think the Swarovski Z6 looks sleek and trim - a real plus. The S&B looks almost as sleek but you do have that third turret for the illuminated reticle. But if you want an illuminated reticle (the best way to go) then the S&B is the best looking scope because adding the illuminated reticle on the Swarovski (the "i" in Z6i) means you'll have that ugly weird bump on the back of the scope.

4. Reticle: Both come with reticle on the second focal plane, the best option. First focal plane is best if you use a miliradian dot (MILDOT) or ranging type reticle but you won't be.

5. Optics: You can't go wrong with either.

6. Other: The POSICON system on the S&B is a great feature. H&H can use it to make sure that your scope is precisely mounted. This way you will have full use of your scopes elevation range and it will ensure that you are viewing through the center of the optics as much as possible. The center of the lenses is the area of least distortion. Not required but a real advantage for the S&B.

7. Warranty: S&B is 30 years with the first 10 years free of charge. Swarovski is 10 years for the scope, with first 5 years cost free, and 2 years for reticle illumination. S&B warranty is about the best I know.

So what would I do? I would go with an illuminated S&B and choose the non-illuminated, standard eye relief Z6 as a close second.

Edited by Grenadier (19/04/08 03:48 PM)

Post Extras Print Post   Remind Me!     Notify Moderator

Entire topic
Subject Posted by Posted on
* Scope Mike_Bailey 18/04/08 07:44 PM
. * * Re: Scope 93mouse   18/04/08 08:35 PM
. * * Re: Scope CHAPUISARMES   18/04/08 08:55 PM
. * * Re: Scope ozhunter   18/04/08 11:18 PM
. * * Re: Scope Mike_Bailey   19/04/08 02:29 AM
. * * Re: Scope 93mouse   23/04/08 05:18 AM
. * * Re: Scope DM   02/05/08 10:42 AM
. * * Re: Scope JabaliHunter   02/05/08 06:37 PM
. * * Re: Scope DM   04/05/08 01:57 AM
. * * Re: Scope Anonymous   19/04/08 03:25 AM
. * * Re: Scope Grenadier   19/04/08 02:57 PM
. * * Re: Scope JPK   20/04/08 05:13 AM
. * * Re: Scope Nighthawk   22/04/08 08:04 PM
. * * Re: Scope JPK   23/04/08 04:50 AM
. * * Re: Scope Anonymous   23/04/08 12:09 AM

Extra information
0 registered and 144 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  CptCurl 

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Thread views: 2631

Rate this thread

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com