Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: My 9.3 Mountain Rifle

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Shooting & Reloading - Mausers, Big Bores and others >> Rifles

9.3x57
.450 member

Reged: 22/04/07
Loc: United States
Re: My 9.3 Mountain Rifle
      25/03/08 11:19 PM

Landy:

That is a bummer, as I bet they have afew HVA jaktdiopters like mine, and probably even some Hellqvists buried among the junk.

In fact, that is how I got mine. As mentioned, this rifle is cobbled-together, and the barrelled action had the jaktdiopter on it when I saw it in its shattered stock on a visit to SARCO. They wanted way too much money for the thing {stock was destroyed}. So when they sent me that junker 46 in 6.5x55 {rusted out bore, scope mount...WELDED ON!!!} I remembered the virtually mint barrelled action 9.3 and made a swap. I sent them back the 6.5x55 metal and kept the stock and they sent me the 9.3x57 with its busted stock. I have the stock still, tho it is in really bad shape. I plan to make some knife handles out of it {I figure another norsk tollekniv would be neat, blade in a handle made from a Husky stock }.

The barrelled action more or less fit the stock, but it had the scope mount gap, typical cracked tang, so it needed some work, too. Plus the straight-razor comb. I decided to experiment with it and took a hoof rasp and rasped shouldered until the thing fit me like a glove with no strike on the face though my already-busted nose gets in the way a bit if I'm not careful. Kick is amazingly light. I had two HVA 8x57's that with handloads and Lapua factory ammo kicked harder than my .375, and I am not kidding. Sharp as can be. This thing at over a pound lighter is not bad at all.

Erik:

A friend i norge sends me the reinsdyrprøveblinkers. I have a stack of them and we use them all the time, along with some reduced-size targets I designed. They last a LONG time as I tape the bullet holes and then color the tape with permanent marker.

I have my own designs printed on card stock by a local printer, with the dødesone reduced by 1/2 the area {which is actually about an 8-inch circle instead of the reinsdyrblinker 30cm. I photo'd them for another post on targets a while back.

Incidently, glad you asked as it just jogged my mind a bit. I have spoken to the head of hunter safety for Idaho Fish and Game and he likes the idea of an asymmetrical target in the shape of a critter, with no aiming point. We do not have a shooting test requirement here like you do there, but during the hunter safety class, they have a short familiarization part where they shoot a few .22 rounds at a standing target. I suggested they use a target based on the norsk concept and he liked it. Since most of the ones taking the course are little kids, it would be a good oppotunity to drive home the point about killing shots, kill zones and making the first shot count. He said they have a stockpile of the bullseye targets but when they are used up he'd like to go to a new target. I have to call him.

--------------------
What are the Rosary, the Cross or the Crucifix other than tools to help maintain the fortress of our faith in Jesus Christ, the Son of God?

Post Extras Print Post   Remind Me!     Notify Moderator

Entire topic
Subject Posted by Posted on
* My 9.3 Mountain Rifle 9.3x57 23/03/08 11:19 AM
. * * Re: My 9.3 Mountain Rifle EricD   25/03/08 09:27 PM
. * * Re: My 9.3 Mountain Rifle 9.3x57   25/03/08 11:19 PM
. * * Re: My 9.3 Mountain Rifle dons   23/03/08 12:11 PM
. * * Re: My 9.3 Mountain Rifle 9.3x57   24/03/08 12:13 AM
. * * Re: My 9.3 Mountain Rifle mehulkamdar   24/03/08 10:02 AM
. * * Re: My 9.3 Mountain Rifle 9.3x57   24/03/08 12:38 PM
. * * Re: My 9.3 Mountain Rifle Landy   25/03/08 11:17 AM
. * * Re: My 9.3 Mountain Rifle 9.3x57   25/03/08 11:47 AM
. * * Re: My 9.3 Mountain Rifle DarylS   25/03/08 12:05 PM
. * * Re: My 9.3 Mountain Rifle 9.3x57   25/03/08 12:52 PM
. * * Re: My 9.3 Mountain Rifle Landy   25/03/08 04:41 PM

Extra information
0 registered and 171 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:   

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Thread views: 5145

Rate this thread

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com