Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Plainsgame in South Africa.

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Hunting >> Hunting in Africa & hunting dangerous game

Pages: 1
pinotguy
.275 member

Reged: 03/02/07
Loc: CO
Plainsgame in South Africa.
      #99091 - 13/03/08 05:24 AM

So I've begun the research process for my first hunting safari in Africa. So far, I've managed to narrow down the species I'd like to try and take. However, I've kind of hit a snag at this stage as I am unsure as to who book with and where to go. Here is the list of species (in order of preferance):

- Tsessebe
- Bontebok
- Nyala
- Red Lechwe
- Limpopo Bushbuck
- Vaal Rhebuck

It seems like RSA would be the most logical location but all of the outfitters I've looked at don't offer these six animals. Of course, I've seen 4-5 but the sixth one always seems to not be included. First question - Can anyone here make some specific recommendations on who to contact about the animals listed? From what I've been able to gather, all but the Red Lechwe are indigenous to RSA, and in some weird way, this fact matters to me. In other words, I find trying to hunt animals in their original habitat range appealing and would take that into account when booking.

Second question - Is there another African country that may offer these six animals? I believe I could find all six in different countries, but would prefer not to have to deal with the added hassles that accompanies crossing borders. I would not mind travelling within one country. I've come to the conclusion that a certain degree of travel will be necessary as some of these species are only found in certain parts of RSA.

Third question - Would I be out of line in asking for some sort of documentation or evidence on the "pedigree" of an outfitters Bontebok herd? I have seen/read multiple accounts of some less-than-scrupulous (sic) outfitters crossing Blesbok with Bontebok and passing them off as pure. Along these lines, what should I look for as far as verifying a pure strain?

Fourth question - What would be a realistic length of stay for hunting these six species? The amount of travel to concesssions would definitely play a role but I'm curious as what would be reasonable. I do not wish to pressure the PH or myself by not booking enough days.

Thanks in advance for any assistance and information.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
AspenHill
Sponsor

Reged: 08/01/03
Loc: Vermont, USA
Re: Plainsgame in South Africa. [Re: pinotguy]
      #99092 - 13/03/08 05:38 AM

Well some of them do not occur naturally on the same habitat/property. So you have answered your own question. You could break the hunt up to more than one trip; spend a long period of time traveling to natural ranges and/or just be a collector and probably find an outfit who will truck in what you want.

Pick one of your list that is the top choice for you and build your hunt around that game animal. There are so many neat species to hunt.

If you are looking for some good honest outfits drop me an email, I am sure I have one you will like and have a memorable hunt with.

--------------------
~Ann

Everyday spent outdoors is the best day of my life.

Aspen Hill Adventures

tophet1
.400 member

Reged: 15/09/07
Loc: NSW, Australia
Re: Plainsgame in South Africa. [Re: AspenHill]
      #99131 - 13/03/08 01:15 PM

I have just been through this process myself and may I suggest that you will have to compromise on your expectations.

If you are not prepared to 'do a split hunt' ie hunt in different locations, then plan around your most desired species and see what else is available from the outfitter's you contact.

The time you spend in Africa depends on how many species you want to hunt, how much money you have and again, what is available from the outfitter/Ph in the area you plan to hunt. The outfitter should give you a good idea of how much time is required. Also budget to collect that extra trophy that may 'pop up'. As a rough idea, I'd plan 7-14 days and expect to spend down time travelling as something always happens to delay you in Africa. Be specific with your expectations when communicating with your outfitter and stay flexible.

Good luck.

Edited by tophet1 (13/03/08 01:22 PM)

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Reged: 25/12/02
Loc: Barossa Valley, South Australi...
      #99134 - 13/03/08 01:36 PM

Quote:

- Tsessebe
- Bontebok
- Nyala
- Red Lechwe
- Limpopo Bushbuck
- Vaal Rhebuck

That's an unusual grouping of antelope to take. Only chance to get them or most of them in one place is probably on a high fenced property with 'introduced' antelope.

Isn't red lechwe native to Zambia?

When in the Cape in 2006 I thought I was told Bontebok are protected?

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Govt get out of our lives NOW!
"I love the smell of cordite in the morning."
"A Sharp spear needs no polish"

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Re: Plainsgame in South Africa. [Re: NitroX]
      #99205 - 14/03/08 11:10 AM

A couple of websites on Bontebok:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bontebok

http://www.ultimateungulate.com/Artiodactyla/Damaliscus_pygargus.html

Plus Bontebok National Park. The town of Swellendam is a nice place to visit if visiting the area.

http://www.sanparks.org/parks/bontebok/

The Hunting Report also lists a number of bontebok hunt reports:
http://www.huntingreport.com/hunting_article_list.cfm?animal=Bontebok%20Hunting

--------------------
John aka NitroX

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

#99207 - 14/03/08 11:20 AM

I wanted to do some 'net research on some of these species to see if what I thought was correct or not. And thought to share the sites with NE members if they are interested.

Some websites on Red Lechwe.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lechwe

http://www.wildlifesafari.info/lechwe_red.html - including distribution map

Hunting Report reports on lechwe:
http://www.huntingreport.com/hunting_article_list.cfm?animal=Lechwe,%20Red%20Hunting

--------------------
John aka NitroX

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

#99208 - 14/03/08 11:30 AM

Quote:

It seems like RSA would be the most logical location but all of the outfitters I've looked at don't offer these six animals. Of course, I've seen 4-5 but the sixth one always seems to not be included. First question - Can anyone here make some specific recommendations on who to contact about the animals listed? From what I've been able to gather, all but the Red Lechwe are indigenous to RSA, and in some weird way, this fact matters to me. In other words, I find trying to hunt animals in their original habitat range appealing and would take that into account when booking.

I haven't hunted any of the above in South Africa except for Limpopo Bushbuck.

Have a look at the Hunting Report searches. Even without buying the actual reports or subscribing, you can get an idea of the main outfitters hunting those species and the general locations.

Quote:

Third question - Would I be out of line in asking for some sort of documentation or evidence on the "pedigree" of an outfitters Bontebok herd? I have seen/read multiple accounts of some less-than-scrupulous (sic) outfitters crossing Blesbok with Bontebok and passing them off as pure. Along these lines, what should I look for as far as verifying a pure strain?

You're the customer, so if this is a concern, ask as many questions as you feel you need to.

From Ultimate Ungulate:
Quote:

Remarks

The bontebok (D. p. dorcas) and blesbok (D. p. phillipsi) are part of a confusing taxonomic muddle. Formerly both classified as subspecies of Damaliscus dorcas, the Smithsonian Institution has changed the classification of both to Damaliscus pygargus. However, this name has not completely infiltrated into current usage, with both 'species' still being placed under D. dorcas by certain taxonomists. The problem arises from their extreme genetic closeness - they look almost identical and could be (and have been) thought of as races. As with many South African species, the bontebok was once hunted to the brink of extinction by white settlers who viewed them as pests. Once reduced to just 17 wild individuals, the bontebok population has since grown, and over a thousand animals now live on preserves and game farms in their home land. The blesbok is now extinct in its native habitat, only surviving on game farms and in wildlife refuges. The population has increased to the point where they are commercially ranched for meat. The name bontebok comes from bont (Dutch) particolored and bok (Dutch) a buck. Bles (Dutch) a mark or blaze; bok (Dutch) a buck: alluding to the white blaze on the nose.

Going to be difficult, I think.

Good luck and hope your first safari is enjoyable.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

pinotguy
.275 member

Reged: 03/02/07
Loc: CO
      #99209 - 14/03/08 11:33 AM

John,

Many thanks for the additional information. I consider knowing as much about the game to be just as important as the hunting itself. From what I've been able to come across, all of these are indigenous to RSA, except the Red Lechwe. The problem is that they're scattered throughout the country so some travel will be in order.

Bramble
.375 member

Reged: 29/07/06
Loc: England
      #99212 - 14/03/08 11:55 AM

May I respectfully ask if it is your wish to hunt these animals or simply collect them as specimins regardless of the methods used?

The reason I ask is this. Hunting is hunting. If you wish to go to a large property where these species are known to be either from put and take or that there is a sustainable population on the property that is resident. Then you could be there for a very long time if you wish only to shoot these specific species.
For instence Jaco (SAHunt) and I chased Eland for 7 days, a month ago, without a realistic possibility of a shot. I did get other species, none of which were great trophy heads, but we worked dammed hard for them and I enjoyed every moment of it.
Now there are plenty of outfits that I could have contacted and told them I wanted an Eland. It would have been released 24 hours before I got there and I would have been set up in a hide or off a vehicle to shoot it as it would have not strayed far from its release point. In that case they could not ony give you the pedigree but tell you what it had for breakfast.

What I am getting at I think is this. If you want a good trophy of any specific species, then you may not get a shot at it even if you are there for a month hunting every day. That is not to say however that you may not get a shot at some superb specimin of another species. Thus you risk coming away disapointed with your African hunting experience, or taking the other option and closing your mind to the means by which the trophys are obtained, which to me at least is equally unsatisfactory.
That is what Ann is alluding to I think.

As it is your first time. Unless you have unlimited time and money I would do what Ann suggests get a recomendation for a good outfit that has some of the species on you hit list as well as others. Book a couple of weeks. Go with a good mind, chill out and take what comes as it comes.

Best wishes

375fanatic
.224 member

Reged: 13/02/08
Loc: Sabie South Africa
Re: Plainsgame in South Africa. [Re: Bramble]
      #99221 - 14/03/08 07:54 PM

I agree 100% with Bramble

in africa the trophy animals get all the news papers a week ahead so they know what is comming i think they even surf the web to know who's comming. I will suggest that you take your list and break it down in say bushbuck and nyala and shoot 3 more of the species that is in the area it will also add value to evry trip without spending hunting days on the road.

--------------------
Its not the size of the wave but the motion of the ocean

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 26 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:   

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 2086

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com